Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JKD Bullshido?

Options
  • 05-10-2016 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

JKD Skerries?

I Took classes here and to be honest, I left after 15 months as did a lot of others over the previous months. I found it was very unprofessionally run, and very boring most of the time because of a serious lack of any advancement or communication. The instructor was a bit clumsy, uncoordinated, and often kept forgetting his own basic drills and had to constantly start again. We managed to get only one grading done in 15 months because he's not allowed to sign his own grading certs and it needs to be done by his own instructor in Belfast. Grading dates were constantly being changed, venues were constantly being changed and it gives the impression that communication between Belfast and Dublin is very laid back and uncoordinated. It's almost like nobody gives a crap.

I even witnessed people a year ago who hadn't come training in months get handed grading certificates who didn't even know the material.

The teacher is supposed to be a level 2 instructor, but honestly his level of skill compared to several others I have seen in action was like that of a guy who has only been training a very short time and was still not out of the full basic levels himself. After almost a year and a half, doing the same very basic trapping and jab, cross, hook drills week in week out with literally and absolutely no new material being taught at all, with a very loose, laid back and very erratic grading system, myself and a couple of others felt it was a path to handing over money for nothing and packed it in. Honestly, I don't see the place lasting much longer.

I found the whole experience made me feel very negative and disappointed, and after doing a bit of looking into it, I found that the lineage to this school although it does genuinely lead back to Bruce Lee it appears it is NOT ACTUALLY JEET KUNE DO but in fact VERY EARLY JUN FAN GUNG FU.

Although I don't doubt that this guy holds a level 2 instructor certificate, I do have genuine doubts as to whether or not he gained this through years of dedicated training or just from turning up for private lessons, as he does not appear to be nearly as knowledgeable as one would expect nor is he as effortless in motion as many others I have seen at seminars, online and in other martial arts schools.

I have found another Jeet Kune Do school, and have taken a single class there, and already I have seen big major differences in the quality of instruction and material being taught, the level of understanding that the instructor here holds would seem extremely advanced. I took my first Kali / Silat class there last night and again, the differences in the quality of what is being taught is a major improvement compared to what I had been doing in Skerries.

I suppose to an absolute beginner, it would seem quite impressive at first glance, hence why I was there for 15 months, but when you get to realize that maybe the instructor isn't teaching you anything new is probably because he doesn't have anything else to teach, well, that's the point when people leave and don't come back.

To me at least, and I can only speak for myself, the school in Skerries was terrible, and I felt that all I had really achieved in 15 months was a few basics, and the total separation of my money from my wallet. Aside from a very basic understanding and two decent seminars by a guy from the UK, I felt it was not exactly money well spent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 30rock

Dear Sean,

Thanks for the feedback it is genuinely appreciated and I can assure I will take all of it on board and do my best to improve the student experience going forward. I wish you all the very best with your future training.

Kind Regards,
    James Devine
    Level 3 Apprentice JKD Ireland
    Level 1 Trainee Instructor Jason Boh School of Martial Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

Anybody got any popcorn?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ah... the unmistakable sound of an axe being ground

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement