Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reuse old brass hardware on new door

Options
  • 05-10-2016 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Had new front door installed last year. Was hoping the fitters would install the hardware from old door but they said they only install hardware that they supply themselves. So for now the black door only had a handle, also black, so it looks very bare.

The old hardware is solid brass. I know it would be easier to maintain new hardware, but would like to use the old if possible. A handyman said he would tackle it for me but the problem is the existing bolts are too short. The new door has a thickness of 70mm, the old one was much thinner. He managed to remove the bolt from the old knocker and replaced it, but I realize the new bolt is too short but that's an easy fix. The bolt on the knob is more difficult, he was unable to remove the existing bolt. Any suggestions on how to reuse these would be great.

Or am I daft, should I just go with new hardware?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

I think it's nice to reuse older fittings where you can, gives a sense of continuity. We have reused an old door knob that goes well back a few owners. The threaded bolt looks very corroded - trying spraying in penetrating oil/ WD40 etc. around it, leave for a while and repeat. Clamp the corroded bolt in a vice grips or vice and see if it loosens then. Applying heat to the bolt may also help. If you get it out, spray in more WD40 and clean out any gunge and see if threads are undamaged. You'll need to get a new threaded bolt of the right length and diameter, nut and washer etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is the new door solid wood or PVC / composite?

If it's wood, yeah, I'd re-fit them. Bit of a polish and spray lacquer will have them looking great. If it's a PVC door then don't, it'll only end in tears :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Steve wrote: »

If it's wood, yeah, I'd re-fit them. Bit of a polish and spray lacquer will have them looking great. If it's a PVC door then don't, it'll only end in tears :)
    ye I would fully agree with you on this.the door in the second pic is a composite and it could very well end in tears if not done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Steve wrote: »

The frame is wood but the door is composite. Why is that such a problem - difficulty of drilling through?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

leck wrote: »
    The frame is wood but the door is composite. Why is that such a problem - difficulty of drilling through?

Composites are like a toasted cheese sandwich, lovely to look at and hard on the outside but soft in the middle. :D

There is little to grip if you screw something into it, if you bolt through, you will collapse it.

Not to say it can't be done, just be careful. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Looks bare alright! Where is the letterbox? Anyway in my opinion brass on black is not a great look. If it was me, I would invest in some new chrome hardware. Much more classy looking :)

Advertisement