Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Clarehall Hell

Options
  • 05-10-2016 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, have been on a trip to Clarehall Tesco recently with some wheelchair users and some disabled people. We chose Clarehall because it was a wet day and it was a sheltered car park with disabled parking bays(lots of them). The intention was to park up,disembark and go and have some refreshments and chat ,may not sound like much,but it makes a big difference to the people with us. Anyway despite the number of disabled bays,we could not park,and a lot of people were disappointed. So why am I writing this. Here's why, I checked nearly all the disabled bays and less than 10% had permits to park. I questioned security staff and they could do nothing. Apparently Tesco know about this and are not willing to solve the situation. I know in Blanchardstown center you would be clamped(and I hate clampers). But knowingly parking in a disabled bay is disgusting. I am surprised that in an area that has such a high regard for anti water charges has such a low regard for people with disabilities.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

horse7 wrote: »
    I am surprised that in an area that has such a high regard for anti water charges has such a low regard for people with disabilities.

You think that's because they care about other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭horse7

I think without penalty people won't care,its up to Tesco to remind people of their responsibilitys.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Planning regulations probably means that Tesco are obliged to provide a certain number of disabled parking spots based on the overall size of the car park but clearly there's nothing in the regulations saying that you need to have some kind of effective enforcement.

Even if all of the cars had blue stickers, chances are that a large number of them were being driving by able-bodied drivers who borrowed granny's car because the disabled badge gets you free parking on public streets and you get to park very close to the entrance in supermarkets and public buildings like hospitals.

I witnessed a great situation outside Clonmel hospital once. A whole family piled into granny's Micra to visit her in the hospital. As there was a disabled badge on the dash, they didn't bother with the public car park which would have involved a 100m walk and a €2 charge to exit. Instead, they barrelled right up to the front door, parked in a disabled spot and in they went. One of the staff spotted them and they were clamped!

Not a case of permit misuse here as of the permits on view 90% had no permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Have seen it loads of times. Was there a load of bmw x5s with the owners queing for the dole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

I think you need to contact Tesco ClareHall and Tesco Head office (as far as I know its out in Dun Laoghaire.) and tell them exactly what happened and the disappointment it was for you and your colleagues.

There is NO excuse why Supermarkets / Shopping Centres shouldnt police parking spaces and penalize those who park in spaces specifically marked out for wheelchair permits users.

My local Tesco has a at least 10 disabled parking spaces and not a day passes when there are cars without permits using them.

Its wrong and in this day and age , people should be more mindful and park in appropriate spaces and supermarkets should do more to enforce things

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    I think you need to contact Tesco ClareHall and Tesco Head office (as far as I know its out in Dun Laoghaire.) and tell them exactly what happened and the disappointment it was for you and your colleagues.

+1
    There is NO excuse why Supermarkets / Shopping Centres shouldnt police parking spaces and penalize those who park in spaces specifically marked out for wheelchair permits users.

Actually there is an excuse - the only way they can enforce the rules on the use of disabled parking slots is by clamping which introduces major scope for aggravation, threats to staff etc. A lot of the selfish pr1cks who disregard rules like these are not the nicest of people to deal with.
    My local Tesco has a at least 10 disabled parking spaces and not a day passes when there are cars without permits using them.

So what happened when you reported them to Tesco....... as I assume you did per your suggestion to the OP above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just have a look at the rows of high end jeeps and SUV's in the car parks at the airport with the blue badges and none with any kind of modifications.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Just have a look at the rows of high end jeeps and SUV's in the car parks at the airport with the blue badges and none with any kind of modifications.

You dont have to have any modifications done to your car/suv to have a permit nor do you have to be physically disabled as it were.

Many a person with breathing difficulties (CF) or other medical issues can and do have the blue badge wheelchair permit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as (i think) it's the irish wheelchair association who manage the wheelchair badge system, it may be worth enquiring with them as to what powers - if any - the supermarkets have in relation to control over usage of wheelchair spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

You dont have to have any modifications done to your car/suv to have a permit nor do you have to be physically disabled as it were.

Many a person with breathing difficulties (CF) or other medical issues can and do have the blue badge wheelchair permit
    Parents with a disabled child can get a permit also. It drives me nuts to see spaces being taken by people without a permit. I'm not sure I have much time for excuses like being afraid to confront offenders.

There's really no reason to have a permit in Clarehall,so it seems.

horse7 wrote: »
    There's really no reason to have a permit in Clarehall,so it seems.

Contact Tesco and complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I know a few blue badge holders. Often drive them to where they are going.

Also every time, you will see non-badged cars in these spots. They are rarely enforced. Complaining to the store has little effect.

Advertisement