Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering Asia for 2 or 3 weeks in March

Options
  • 04-10-2016 3:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭

Myself and a friend are considering a trip to Asia next March, hes already done Thailand so we are thinking of one or a combination of Burma , Cambodia Loas or Vietnam. I would appreciate opinions and how are all 4 in terms of safety?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

2 or 3 weeks isn't enough time to do a combination.. pick one and go! I was in Cambodia and Vietnam around this time last year and I found them safe, just don't do anything silly and you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Myanmar is probably the least safe of the three just because it is the newest for tourists but still relatively safe. Would be my first pick and from my research two-three weeks should be enough time but it is recommended that you get a guide as some parts are still very undeveloped for tourists.

My second choice would be Vietnam and Cambodia. You'd need 3 weeks though. Start in Hanoi, see Halong Bay and Sapa. Then start working your way down to Hoi An, Hue and Da Nang. Finish Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City with the Cu Chi Tunnels and Mekong Delta. Get a bus to Phnom Penh (but don't stay too long here) and travel to Siem Reap for Angkor Wat. Then home.

Laos is overrated in my opinion. Avoid unless you just want a drinking party!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'd agree with Batgurl, havent been to Myanmar yet but it's on my list hopefully next year. Angkar Wat in Cambidia was probably one of my favourite places I've been too but it really depends on what you want.

If I had 2-3 weeks id go for Vietnam, Halong Bay and Sapa trips from Hanoi are easy to organise, the internal train and flight network is fairly handy too. If you wanna enjoy and relax a bit id maybe stick with Vietnam and enjoy that. Getting to Siem Reap from Vietnam can be a full days travel so on a short time scale id stick with Vietnam.

You could spend about 7 days before you got out of Hanoi alone (2 nights in Halong Bay, 2 nights in Sapa, a night to recover from jet lag and a couple looking around the city) if you wanted to save time you can do overnight trains aswell so travel while you sleep. They are relatively comfortable and might free up a couple of days to fit in Cambodia.

Laos is ok but probably the only country I wouldn't be too interested to go back to in South East Asia.

Advertisement