Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace ISP modem/router with my own modem/router?

Options
  • 04-10-2016 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I have an ISP modem/router which came with my internet package.

Would it be ok to replace the ISP modem/router with a modem/router that I buy myself? Would it be just a simple matter of swapping one for the other and do no other steps?

How often should they be replaced due to being outdated?

Thank you.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Can you place your current router in bridge mode? Might be the simplest option. You can hang your own router off it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I replaced my Vodafone VDSL router with one I bought, and used an old router as a wifi extender and it works great. Its pretty easy to set up too. You might need the username and password provided by the ISP but afaik that is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

degsie wrote: »
    Can you place your current router in bridge mode? Might be the simplest option. You can hang your own router off it then.

Hi degsie. I don't see any option for bridge mode. If there was an option - do you mean I could just ditch my current modem/router and put in a newly bought one? Note that I have to enter my username (telephone number) and password to setup the ISP modem/router initially.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Mc Love wrote: »
    I replaced my Vodafone VDSL router with one I bought, and used an old router as a wifi extender and it works great. Its pretty easy to set up too. You might need the username and password provided by the ISP but afaik that is all you need.

Hi Mc Love. Do all modem/routers have the options to input the ISP username (telephone number) and password?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It'd be much simpler if you said what provider/package you're on.

• Advertisement

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi degsie. I don't see any option for bridge mode. If there was an option - do you mean I could just ditch my current modem/router and put in a newly bought one? Note that I have to enter my username (telephone number) and password to setup the ISP modem/router initially.

No you keep the router and simply attatch a new router to it. The original router will still take care of user credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hi Mc Love. Do all modem/routers have the options to input the ISP username (telephone number) and password?

Some might ask for it, others wont.

ED E wrote: »
    It'd be much simpler if you said what provider/package you're on.

Hi ED E. I'm with DigiWeb -- not sure of the package name (provides DSL internet + landline).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Assuming its ADSL not VDSL finding compatible hardware is easy, the only trick can be extracting your login credentials. If you call them they should furnish you with them though.

degsie wrote: »
    No you keep the router and simply attatch a new router to it. The original router will still take care of user credentials.

Hi degsie. I'd rather replace my modem/router so I'd not go for that option. How often should ISP routers be changed due to outdated firmware?

• Advertisement

Hi degsie. I'd rather replace my modem/router so I'd not go for that option. How often should ISP routers be changed due to outdated firmware?

I wouldn't focus so much on the firmware. All router manufacturers eventually drop support on products but they will continue to work just fine. Only if there is a major security flaw that does not get patched would I be looking for a new router.

Advertisement