Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting and installing a nuc

Options
  • 04-10-2016 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭

A kind beekeeper has offered me a nuc he set up last week. I need to bring
    it home and install it.

Background: I have yet to keep bees, I have spent much of the last year
    clearing access to a 'wild' part of our yard that is usually overgrown
    with blackberries, some fuchsia, and various flowering weeds. I've
    prepped an area, flat with a gravel base and some concrete block for a hive,
    and another neighbor that kept bees up till a couple years ago is
    offering me his National hives and his equipment (suit, smoker, tool)
    since he doesn't have time for bees anymore. I will have to clean
    the frames and hive, but I've looked around for that, and it seems
    like it's well within my capacity to do so.

First question: The beekeeper with the nuc would like me to pick it
    up at his place, about 10 minute drive away. I am looking for advice
    on how to safely do this. I don't have a trailer, so the nuc'd have
    to go into the back of our hatchback Toyota. I *think* I should tape
    over the various entries to the nuc with some window screen, and securely
    tie it down in the back. Is that all? Is there a best time of day
    to do this? And, should I plan on driving in the bee suit in case
    there's some crisis like they get out and start attacking? Would I be
    better off with the windows shut or open? I think shut to keep things
    'calmer' in the car. Further, if anyone accompanies me on the trip, should they
    be wearing the bee suit?

A little concerned about driving wearing the suit, maybe not the hat but
    have it next to me for easy access.

Once the nuc's at home and in place, should I plan to move the bees
    'soon' to the hive, or over-winter them in place, in the nuc?

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy set of questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Igotadose wrote: »
    A kind beekeeper has offered me a nuc he set up last week. I need to bring
    it home and install it.

It's a very strange time of year to be setting up a nuc. Most beekeepers are in the final stages of making sure that their hives are ready for winter. I guess it's possible that it's a small colony that the beekeeper has transferred into a nuc for the winter...
    Background: I have yet to keep bees, I have spent much of the last year
    clearing access to a 'wild' part of our yard that is usually overgrown
    with blackberries, some fuchsia, and various flowering weeds. I've
    prepped an area, flat with a gravel base and some concrete block for a hive,
    and another neighbor that kept bees up till a couple years ago is
    offering me his National hives and his equipment (suit, smoker, tool)
    since he doesn't have time for bees anymore. I will have to clean
    the frames and hive, but I've looked around for that, and it seems
    like it's well within my capacity to do so.

This sounds great!
    First question: The beekeeper with the nuc would like me to pick it
    up at his place, about 10 minute drive away. I am looking for advice
    on how to safely do this. I don't have a trailer, so the nuc'd have
    to go into the back of our hatchback Toyota. I *think* I should tape
    over the various entries to the nuc with some window screen, and securely
    tie it down in the back. Is that all? Is there a best time of day
    to do this? And, should I plan on driving in the bee suit in case
    there's some crisis like they get out and start attacking? Would I be
    better off with the windows shut or open? I think shut to keep things
    'calmer' in the car. Further, if anyone accompanies me on the trip, should they
    be wearing the bee suit?

You have the mechanics of it all figured out pretty well.

You would close up the entrances to the hive about dusk or whatever time you're happy that the bees have stopped flying and are (mostly) all inside. Then it's just a case of making sure that everything is securely strapped together. Putting it into your car should be fine.

I don't always wear a beesuit in the car when I move bees but I'd recommend it as sensible... just in case. The same for moving the closed up nuc... you don't want to trip up and drop the box while not suited up.

If a few stray bees hitchhike on the outside (often underneath) of the nuc they're usually not a problem. In the car, they quickly drift to the windows and hang around there, not interfering with the driver.

No need to open the windows (unless you're too warm :)). It's a short trip. The bees will be fine for a 10 minute journey. On a longer journey you need to worry about keeping them cool, etc.

A little concerned about driving wearing the suit, maybe not the hat but
    have it next to me for easy access.

That sounds smart.
    Once the nuc's at home and in place, should I plan to move the bees
    'soon' to the hive, or over-winter them in place, in the nuc?

Here's where your plan sounds a little off to me.

Nucs are trickier to bring through the winter than full sized colonies. There is a not insignificant chance that they won't make it. Would the beekeeper bring them through the winter for you and let you pick them up in Spring?

If you go ahead...

Definitely keep them in the nuc. They're not going to expand until next spring. They need a small cosy space to survive the winter.

They also need plenty of stores... has the beekeeper already fed the colony? Have you a feeder to top them up with a few litres of sugar syrup?

Once the colony are settled down for the winter (very soon preferably) there won't be much to do until spring. Plenty of time to study and attend a beginners course.

Is the beekeeper willing to help you get them settled for the winter?

I don't want to doubt your beekeeper but it would also be good to find out whether the colony was treated in some way for varroa mite. If not, combined with the other details, I'd suggest you're letting yourself in for more hardship than necessary. It might be smarter to wait until spring and get a colony then.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy set of questions.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I didn't see it mentioned I think, but how far away are the two sites?
    Have you considered the 3 feet 3 mile rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

OP, when I move a nuc i also wrap an old white (so you can see any stray bees against it) sheet around the nuc. This enables you to contain the nuc and any that escape out of the box to get caught up in the sheet and so they shouldn't bother you. I also have an open hatchback and have never had an issue with this. In our part of the world, we stuff the opening orifice with grass...the bees, whilst taking the time to get out through it also discover that they are now in a different location and need to repatriate themselves as it were. Don't let it in for longer than a day though.
    In terms of the nuc itself would agree with brianmc. It's an unusual time to move them and if they don't have stores within the nuc you will need to feed them. Sugar fondant is also a good alternative to the syrup (you may not be able to fit the syrup feeder on the nuc depending on its size. Make sure there's water nearby though so that they can break down the fondant.
    Finally, in terms of settling them in, would the neighbour who's lent you the suit, smoker, etc. be able to help you out? He could become a beekeeper by proxy...it's not a hobby that people tend to abandon lightly and he might be delighted with the opportunity to give you a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Thank you everyone for the hints. I especially like the sheet idea from Mellifera, will do that for sure. Grass might work as a plug here in west Kerry as well.

I will check on the feeding/varroa questions, I'm fairly certain the keeper has treated for varroa regularly and produces a lot of honey even in this challenging year. Fondant shouldn't be a problem, in fact that's my first choice as well. Mrs. Igotadose is a keen baker and has volunteered already to make the fondant for me:)

The retired neighbor will probably be recruited to help with the transport, even if its unloading from the van. Plus this might get him interested again, he's got a gorgeous garden and did produce delicious honey up till a year or two ago.

Hello again. Visited the bee yard with the generous beekeeper this weekend. We'll be waiting till Spring to move the nuc, it's not far enough along to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Let us know how you go when you do move it. Enjoy the studying during the winter :-).
    I got my first crop of honey this year. Have been beekeeping a few years but they never seem to come to anything. Again, this year it was touch and go on all the hives apart from the one in the polystyrene hive which came through the winter in fine fettle. It was sooooooo worth the wait!! Hang in there when you do start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Deiseforsam

brillant

Mellifera wrote: »
    Let us know how you go when you do move it. Enjoy the studying during the winter :-).
    I got my first crop of honey this year. Have been beekeeping a few years but they never seem to come to anything. Again, this year it was touch and go on all the hives apart from the one in the polystyrene hive which came through the winter in fine fettle. It was sooooooo worth the wait!! Hang in there when you do start.

Would you start with 2? I am thinking of ordering some bees if at all possible now for the spring, to ensure I get at least 1 hive going....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

IMHO yes, try and get a second one if you can.

Advertisement