Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low profile RAM

Options
  • 04-10-2016 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭

Hi there folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my ram as high as it can go (64GB) the only problem is that my cpu cooler is too big for the ram to fit. I currently have 24GB in at the moment (3x8GB)

My current PC spec's are here:

Name: AMD FX-8350 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+
    Name: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0, AM3+, ATX + MAX 64 BIT RAM
    Name: be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 500W
    Name: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD
    Name: Cooltek Antiphon Silver, ohne Netzteil

Anyone know where i can get some low profile ram sticks (16 GB ) . The current one i have are 3 x G.Skill Sniper PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-28

Thanks in advance,

mada

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What applications are you using where you run into RAM limits?
    Genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What applications are you using where you run into RAM limits?
    Genuinely curious.

vmware workstation running Esxi hosts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

I found this, it runs @ 1600 and CL11...Crucial website says that it compatible with my motherboard but I'm wondering would it run in my system with my other sticks or would i be taking a chance

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/970-pro3-r2*0/CT7598602

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This is the only low-profile RAM I found with your current timings on Geizhals:

http://geizhals.eu/geil-evo-leggera-dimm-kit-16gb-gel316gb1866c9dc-a808526.html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu

*edit*

I'm surprised you need low-profile though; thought the 212's fan should clear it?

3-cpu-cooler-ram-installed.jpg

*edit2*
    What about just switching the fan orientation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

how is the CPU holding up to the workload. Going 64Gb would be a bit of an investment and I'm just wondering would the CPU just become a bottleneck for you to not get the value out of your investment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Buy any ram and take the heat spreaders off. Simple enough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

Crucial and corsair do budget ram with no heat spreaders and honestly there's no difference. And as a bonus, it's cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

how is the CPU holding up to the workload. Going 64Gb would be a bit of an investment and I'm just wondering would the CPU just become a bottleneck for you to not get the value out of your investment

Usually in a lab environment, a quad core with hyper-threading can run 20 variations of windows servers/clients machines before you start seeing any real issues. With the advent of large SSD's, RAM is usually the limit now days.

Advertisement