Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights below Grange Heights

Options
  • 03-10-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

I see the Upper Grange road has been widened, and a right-turn lane put in. It looks like there are going to be traffic lights there. Is it true there's a link road going in right down to St John's Park? I tried looking for this development on the council website, but couldn't find anything.

Anyone got details?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

They're building a new primary care centre in there. I doubt the road will go all the way through to johns park thats too much traffic for a hospital grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

shockwave wrote: »
    They're building a new primary care centre in there. I doubt the road will go all the way through to johns park thats too much traffic for a hospital grounds.
    Someone probably saw some construction vehicles down by school in John's park and thought both works linking up.....completely unrelated to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Max Powers wrote: »
    completely unrelated to each other

Wouldn't say so.
    Planning Application: 13500109
    Application Number 13500109
    Received Date 12/11/2013
    Application Status Application Finalised
    Application Type PERMISSION
    Applicant Name Health Service Executive

Description development which will consist of the construction of a new (part) two and (part) three storey Primary Care Centre, total area approximately 4,645 sq.m, with car-parking, unit substation, landscaping and external works. To facilitate this development, we are applying also for the following ancillary works: the construction of a new signalised junction at Upper Grange Road, localised widening of the footpath on the east side and an access road to the proposed Primary Care Centre, the construction of a new signalised junction at St. John's Villas and an access road serving St. Martin's School site and the west boundary of the proposed Primary Care Centre, the construction of a new unit substation within the red brick hospital building (constructed 1895) to replace the existing substation which is currently located in a building to be demolished, the conservation of the 19th century brick chimney, the demolition of a total of seven existing ancillary buildings in poor condition, these include a c.1958 former residential house and the c.1958 metal clad coal storage building, in addition to five late 19th cent./early 20th cent. buildings. St. Otterans Hospital and some associated buildings are listed as protected structures in the current city development plan and the proposed development is therefore within the curtilage of a protected structure

Location St. Otterans Hospital Precinct Upper Grange Road Johns Hill
    Decision Granted (Conditional)
    Decision Date 23/04/2014
    Decision Due Date 24/04/2014
    Appeal Decision Granted (Conditional)
    Appeal Decision Date 23/09/2014
    View further details More info
    View documents More info
    ITMEasting 661142.00
    ITMNorthing 610712.28
    Planning Authority Waterford City and County Council
    Date Uploaded 20160810

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

fricatus wrote: »
    I see the Upper Grange road has been widened, and a right-turn lane put in. It looks like there are going to be traffic lights there. Is it true there's a link road going in right down to St John's Park? I tried looking for this development on the council website, but couldn't find anything.

Anyone got details?

These new Traffic lights will lead to more congestion in the area especially around school/work drop off times.

They should have put a roundabout in there instead as the road is more than wide enough now but the traffic planning in the city is really atrocious!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Traffic planning in the city is absolutely headwrecking.

I think the lights up past St Annes will probably be pedestrian lights though will they? Like the very irritating ones by Super Valu (both sides of the roundabout) and at Aldi on the cork road

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

I think the lights up past St Annes will probably be pedestrian lights though will they? Like the very irritating ones by Super Valu (both sides of the roundabout) and at Aldi on the cork road

I don't think they will be only pedestrian lights as there is a right turn lane marked so I would see there being lights with a right turn arrow.

Also it is not just one set of lights it is 2 as both sides of the junction are marked so expect large delays using this road once the lights are active...

beazee wrote: »
    Wouldn't say so.

So access to care centre from John's villas too? Am I reading that correctly...stand corrected if so.surprised also as previous poster said possibility of rat run thru hospital grounds

Add
    On second read, yeah good spot..looks like works by John's villas was some sort of service entrance for the care centre but doubt road access.

A lot of whinging about providing safe cross points for pedestrians here already.

This is it isn't it....'irritating' pedestrians trying to cross busy roads safely.

This is it isn't it....'irritating' pedestrians trying to cross busy roads safely.

Amen brother.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Eh, there are traffic lights just a 30 second walk away from these new proposed lights on the corner of Johns Hill so I don't think there is any need to cause more traffic congestion here with new lights when people can cross very safely at the lights located very close to it already!

A lot of whinging about providing safe cross points for pedestrians here already.

If there is anything worse then whinging, it is whinging about whinging isn't it?

At least a whinge can be somewhat contributory to a thread when its on point, whining about whining is worse then the traffic management plan in this city though for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

If there is anything worse then whinging, it is whinging about whinging isn't it?

At least a whinge can be somewhat contributory to a thread when its on point, whining about whining is worse then the traffic management plan in this city though for sure

You mean there's actually a plan ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

So access to care centre from John's villas too? Am I reading that correctly...stand corrected if so.surprised also as previous poster said possibility of rat run thru hospital grounds

Add
    On second read, yeah good spot..looks like works by John's villas was some sort of service entrance for the care centre but doubt road access.

I'm reading it differently; new access to the care centre from Johns Hill, access to new St Martins school from Johns Villas/ St. Johns Park i.e. no through road, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

wIjgPwy.jpg

beazee wrote: »
    wIjgPwy.jpg

Good pic, I'm surprised if that happens, imagine all ursuline school traffic from dunmore and grange road cutting thru hospital grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

I'm reading it differently; new access to the care centre from Johns Hill, access to new St Martins school from Johns Villas/ St. Johns Park i.e. no through road, no?

This is how it will be. Two big metal gates have gone up on the Johnshill entrance and it will probably be the same at the other one.

Advertisement