Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop suggestions

Options
  • 03-10-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I'm looking for a new laptop.

I'll mainly be using it for Microsoft Office (work in accountancy, so lots of spreadsheets) and the usual light internet surfing, some youtube, netflix etc. Have an iPad that I use for most of my general internest browsing at home, don't see that changing too much once I get the laptop.

I'd like to keep it in around €500, would stretch up as far as €700 if it was really worth it. I'd also like to have Microsoft Office included in the budget, so if there were deals on including that that would be great too.

It's been 5/6 years since the last time I bought a laptop, so if anyone has any suggestions it would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I'm considering the two below. Anyone know if I'd notice much of a difference between the Inspiron 15 3000 and the Inspiron 15 5000?

Also, Amazon seems to be the cheapest place for these, which I'm glad of for the comeback if something goes wrong. I do need Office though too, at £108.99 it's going to add substantially to the cost. Would there be any drawbacks to buying the package outright as opposed to buying a one year license and renewing it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EZU2GZW/ref=pd_sbs_229_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VRTS4P19HAWZHMC6AB4K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

For the extra €40 I'd definitely go for the 5000 model. Primary difference being the i5 processor which will be noticeably faster than the i3. Seems like a solid machine for the price.

I'd suggest trying an open source office package called Libre Office before you buy MS Office. It's a powerful package available for free which is also compatible with MS file types.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Notorious wrote: »
    For the extra €40 I'd definitely go for the 5000 model. Primary difference being the i5 processor which will be noticeably faster than the i3. Seems like a solid machine for the price.

I'd suggest trying an open source office package called Libre Office before you buy MS Office. It's a powerful package available for free which is also compatible with MS file types.

I agree. It's a steal at that price, dell are great for build quality and generally they know what they are doing when it comes to laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Thanks for the advice guys, going to buy it from Amazon. I might try that Libre Office before buying MS Office, see if it'll do the job!

Advertisement