Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard & Processor Upgrading Options?

Options
  • 03-10-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of advice. Sorry it is a bit long but here is my predicament, and I've a few options to consider.

I had a i5-2500K in a ASRock motherboard that died. The board is definitely dead, but I'm unsure if it damaged the processor in the process.

I got a i7 950 & board from a friend to get me up and running. So I know all the other parts PSU, RAM, HDD etc are working fine.

I wanted to get my i5 working again so picked up a second hand 1155 board on ebay but can't for the life of me get it working. I can get into the BIOS ok, and I can see the processor is being picked up. But when I try to boot to windows I get to the logo and it either freezes or gives a BSOD (tested on both win 10&7). When I try a fresh install of windows (10&7) even from a dvd it gets stuck on the loading files part. I think it is another dodgy board (or a driver issue) but I can't be 100% sure it isn't the processor.

I am now trying to decide if I risk another €100ish on a new 1155 board and risk throwing good money after bad. Or stick with the 950 and keep my money? Or bite the bullet and upgrade the Processor, board and prob RAM?

So I have a few questions on the options. Is the upgrade worth it from the 950 to say an i5 6600/6600K? Considering it would need a new motherboard and RAM too.

If you were to upgrade, what motherboard would you go for to future proof it? If I do make the jump I want it to be the last upgrade for a few years.

In the machine right now is a GTX 1070, 750PSU, 16gb Ram,and 500gb SSD, and it is used for 2K gaming. No 4K or VR on the horizon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The i7-950 is a massive bottleneck to a GTX1070 but at standard 1080p gaming, it wouldn't be very obvious in many games immediately (in that you might still get 50-60 frames whereas a much stronger CPU would get 80-90+).

An upgrade to any Skylake i5 would be a massive improvement, even your i5-2500K is much better but at this point, but I wouldn't waste even more money chasing another 2nd hand S1155 board.

You could just buy a new H61M for around €50 - you'll have no overclocking options but it will be functional and get you up and running for now for a fairly small price. Loss of the OC ability hurts the value and longevity of a 2500K though.

Otherwise sell the i5-2500K for €80-100 and buy new. Sweet spot for value per euro is something like a basic H110 board with DDR4 support and an i5-6500. If you've the money, Z170 and 6600K, or if you just want the best 6700K and Z170 is a solid cominbation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Thanks that is a good help.

Yeah the 950 is the bottle neck on all my tests, it still hits around 40-60 fps at 2K on most of what I play but after spending so much money on the 1070 I'd like to get the most out of it.

I was going to sell the i5 processor but was worried it wasn't working, i'd be more comfortable if I went the H61M route and got it working before selling it. Plus it would tie me over for a bit.

At that point I'd be able to sell my other bits and bobs surely the i7, i5, boards, R9 290, PSU and some ram should go a good way towards helping to pay for the upgrade to i5 6600K option.

My tale of woe continues, got the H61M set it up but it only starts for 1 second then turns off. Then gets stuck in a loop starting itself and shutting down after 1 second.

Ive tested all the parts and they work. The only thing i noticed is if there is no Ram on board it will run for 7-10 seconds then shut down as i would expect.

Ive tried 1 stick, 2 sticks, different sizes. Ive 3 sets here that are working but none of them work with this board.

Is there anything on these boards that would cause it to act differently that im missing?

I've it breadboarded at the moment so all that is connected is the PSU, CPU, cpu fan and ram. And the only psu power cables plugged in is the cpu and motherboard.

**Edit: Pretty much convinced it is the processor at this point. It is the only part I can't test.

It was the processor after all, got a second hand 2500k and everything is working fine again. And only a case and a cpu fan away from building a second pc with all the spare parts ! So think ill do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

It was the processor after all, got a second hand 2500k and everything is working fine again. And only a case and a cpu fan away from building a second pc with all the spare parts ! So think ill do that.

Are you not missing a working CPU as well!?

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Are you not missing a working CPU as well!?

I had picked up an i7 950 with a 1366 motherboard as a short term solution while the original motherboard (and now i know i5 processor) were out of action.

I've put back in the new 1155 motherboard and i5, so I have the i7 to go in the back up machine.

Won't be too bad of a machine, i7 950 CPU, R9 290 GPU, 550w PSU, 16gb RAM. 120SSD, 120HDD. Just need a stock cpu fan and stuff it in a case.

Advertisement