Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arnica for after birth

Options
  • 02-10-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi, starting to gather some bits for hospital bag, am 29 weeks. Someone recommended Arnica for afterwards. Reading different reports online about dosages, people are recommending 200c but seems hard to find. Does anyone know where to get it?

Below seems the only option I've come across

http://www.downtoearth.ie/products/Arnica-200c-4g-Pills-7.95%252d11.95.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I've seen recommendations for Arnica 30 tablets. That's what I got. They're available at most pharmacies.
    I also got gel for after, but I'll have to check with doctors after if safe to use in case I have stitches. Also not sure when to start the Arnica, day before? after birth, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Gatica wrote: »
    I've seen recommendations for Arnica 30 tablets. That's what I got. They're available at most pharmacies.
    I also got gel for after, but I'll have to check with doctors after if safe to use in case I have stitches. Also not sure when to start the Arnica, day before? after birth, etc?

Thanks Gatica, must definitely get my hands on it for afterwards. I read somewhere that to be careful of when you start taking it as apparently they may not give you the epidural if you start taking it whilst in labour. On CUMH's website they have listed "The use of ingested Arnica may be associated with effects on the clotting system and thus may result in a delay in the administration of an epidural"

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Hi, starting to gather some bits for hospital bag, am 29 weeks. Someone recommended Arnica for afterwards. Reading different reports online about dosages, people are recommending 200c but seems hard to find. Does anyone know where to get it?

Below seems the only option I've come across

http://www.downtoearth.ie/products/Arnica-200c-4g-Pills-7.95%252d11.95.html

I took this one a couple of days later as I forgot to bring to hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I used the arnica cream after my first and found it lovely and soothing. Didn't affect my stitches or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

I got a little tube of the arnica tablets in Mccabes pharmacy last time, a small purple tube i think. I started taking them the day after delivery and found them great, I felt brilliant and only needed to take them for a few days. I was lucky as I didn't need stitches thankfully!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Arnica is homeopathy ladies... so it's a cream / tablet /drop that contains zero arnica. Compete expensive placebo I'm afraid. Bruises are part of your bodies own healing and will go on their own, with or without arnica.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Yes agreed with pwurple. I had a nurse ask why I wasn't taking my arnica, she got huffy even after I told her homeopathic remedies are quackery. Don't waste your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

pwurple wrote: »
    Arnica is homeopathy ladies... so it's a cream / tablet /drop that contains zero arnica. Compete expensive placebo I'm afraid. Bruises are part of your bodies own healing and will go on their own, with or without arnica.

Yep, found this out on the labelling, basically there's no known benefits of using it. Ridiculous that it's targeted at pregnant women, waste of money.

Advertisement