Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to London from Shannon with Ryanair & expired passport

Options
  • 02-10-2016 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,

I had a shocking realisation this morning that my passport is out of date . I have flights booked from shannon airport to London through Ryanair for next friday . Ive been reading mixed reports that Ryanair wont accept any other form of id other than a passort , please tell me that this is not true .Other IDs that I have are a public services card and a driving license . The emergency passport office in Dublin is out of reach for me( already have friday booked off work , cant wrangle another day ) so I'm looking at the terrifying reality of having to re book super expensive flights with aerlingus who accept drivers licenses . Is it absolutely true that I cant get on the plane with an expired passport or my other valid IDs ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

[font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]Pilot Rapid Renewal Service[/font]
    [font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]A Pilot Rapid Renewal Service has been introduced in the Dublin Passport Office for adults and children who are renewing their passport and who are travelling in less than 3 working days. You can make make an appointment for the Rapid Renewal Service at passportappointments.ie.[/font]

[font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]- from citizen's informaiton.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Apply for a new passport immediately; passport office might be able to give you an emergency/temporary passport if you can give them a good enough reason as to why you need to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You might be able to get one of the new Passport cards quicker than a full Passport. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Kat1170 wrote: »
    You might be able to get one of the new Passport cards quicker than a full Passport. Worth a try.

Must have an in date passport to get a passport card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

exactly, the expiration date is the same on both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Gatica wrote: »
    exactly, the expiration date is the same on both.

That only happens when there was less than five years left on the full passport when you got the passport card, otherwise the card will expire before the full passport.

The passport card expires after five years or when your full passport expires, whichever comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

oh, sorry. Thanks for the correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ryanair FAQ's are pretty clear about the passport. Also a dead give away is that you must input your passport information to check in.

If you haven't sorted the passport, a flight from Shannon-London Heathrow tomorrow is €81.99 with Aer Lingus where you can use a drivers licence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

With online check in the only place you need to show your passport is at the gate. If the expiry is recent I'd take a chance. I doubt if staff look that closely at all dates - I think they are more interested in the person matching the boarding card.

If you get to UK, Ryanair are obliged to bring you home if it is spotted on that side as they already flew you out. Again with check in already complete, the gate is the only place you show your passport.

You can't check in online with an expired passport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Wonder if the OP got to London or is in the Copacabana!?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Wonder if the OP got to London or is in the Copacabana!?

Got there , Wrangled a day to travel to dublin passport office . Made an appointment the night before . Got a one day passport for 150 euro . Thanks for all the help above .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

em, wouldnt simply booking an alternative aer lingus flight (where a passport isnt needed) have been cheaper and taken less time ?

em, wouldnt simply booking an alternative aer lingus flight (where a passport isnt needed) have been cheaper and taken less time ?

Probably (€150-€250 for a last minute return to Heathrow), but if a passport will be needed anyway you may as well spare the expense of Aer Lingus and just get the passport.

Anyway last friday is well gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I would have needed a valid passport anyway in the future and would have had to dole out 90 or so euro for it eventually so it was the more economic option in the long run .

A guy on the flight back had forgotten his passport and after a few phonecalls they allowed him on the flight with a drivers license . I guess it depends on who is manning the boarding gate .

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭cobham

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You can't check in online with an expired passport?

A friend took a chance when noticed expiry date passed.... put in all correct details save for year ... no problem to London and back.

Advertisement