Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Pet Meds in Ireland Vs. UK 4 Times More Expensive - Why?

Options
  • 01-10-2016 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

In the last couple of weeks my dog has been prescribed Metacam, a drug to treat the symptoms of arthritis.

I was charged €30 for 32ml by my local vet. Just out of curiousity I checked the price online. In the UK you can buy the same drug, same amount for €7.50.

Can anyone explain why a drug would cost 4 times more in Ireland than in the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Bluefrog wrote: »
    In the last couple of weeks my dog has been prescribed Metacam, a drug to treat the symptoms of arthritis.

I was charged €30 for 32ml by my local vet. Just out of curiousity I checked the price online. In the UK you can buy the same drug, same amount for €7.50.

Can anyone explain why a drug would cost 4 times more in Ireland than in the UK?

Do you mind me asking if you are finding this good? My dog is on it over a week and I can't see any improvements also on hills metabolic and mobility food. Have you seen any improvements? I think I paid 26 euro for a bottle of it small bottle. She is on 32mls a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Hey Sadie,

I have seen a little improvement - it took a few days before I started noticing. My fella has hip problems and I notice he's a bit more his old self, particularly on the walks.

Just can't figure out why a drug that many people use long term, is four times more expensive here and I wonder if some people are opting not to or are unable to treat their dogs due to the expense.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It's not just pet meds to be fair most medicines are dearer here eg Asthma inhaler here €12, Spain €3.. See if your vet will give you a prescription and use a pacel motel/wizard/address pal to buy from the uk.

Also not treating because of the expense - it's €30? If people had that view would they even bring the dog to the vet in the first place? What if the dog has an accident and runs up bills of a few hundred or few thousand? I have insurance for that reason and others put money aside. And yes I have been unemployed and on benefits before I'm asked - guess what I saved every week to pay? The pet insurance.

Don't really get the comparison with human drugs but that could do with explaining too.

I know I could probably do as you suggest but legally Irish veterinary prescriptions (which many vets don't give willingly) aren't legal in the UK.

I don't really know why breaking the law seems the only way to get the same product at roughly the same price rather than 4 times it and I'd like to understand that.

Also, I don't think querying the price should be read as implying that people don't care as much about their pets. In fact, in my experience, some vets will try to use that implication to paper over issues like this rather than address them. Yes, people should be responsible about the expenses they take on but by the same token, those in the pet care industry have an obligation to act honourably. As for me personally, I run <snip> on my own time and at my own expense and have done for almost 8 years now so having my credentials for caring about pets questioned as a reason why I shouldn't speak up to ask about a huge price discrepancy doesn't sit well to be honest.

Oh, and also, not that it's really relevant to the topic but rather since it has been brought up, my dogs are insured (with less coverage available to them now that they're older and need it more but that's an bucket of worms for another discussion).

Also, I don't think querying the price should be read as implying that people don't care as much about their pets. In fact, in my experience, some vets will try to use that implication to paper over issues like this rather than address them. Yes, people should be responsible about the expenses they take on but by the same token, those in the pet care industry have an obligation to act honourably. As for me personally, I run <snip> on my own time and at my own expense and have done for almost 8 years now so having my credentials for caring about pets questioned as a reason why I shouldn't speak up to ask about a huge price discrepancy doesn't sit well to be honest.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused

I was responding to your post above where you implied people wouldn't treat their pets because of the cost of a bottle of metacam?
    I wonder if some people are opting not to or are unable to treat their dogs due to the expense.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused::confused

I was responding to your post above where you implied people wouldn't treat their pets because of the cost of a bottle of metacam?

I wasn't implying, the fact of the matter is that some won't. I see a lot of how people regard animals running the pet site and I mentioned this as I do think it's important not to discourage anyone (whether I share the same views on animal welfare or not) from seeking treatment, particularly on the basis of a very inflated cost.

Also, I'm genuinely glad you could still manage to cover your expenses in hard times but everybody has different circumstances and responsibilities. Personally, I prefer to see an animal getting looked after rather than judging the behaviour of people with lives I have no real understanding of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You can get cheaper, generic versions of Metacam... Perhaps you should discuss this with your vet.
    You might also chat with your vet about the known implications of using Metacam long-term for chronic conditions, and perhaps ask them are there other options such as long-lasting NSAIDs for the management of arthritis instead, something along the lines of Cartrophen, and discuss why this might not have been chosen as an option already? It is less damaging for long-term use, very effective as a painkiller, and useful at actively repairing damaged joints.
    Perhaps there's a reason why your vet discounted one over the other, but Metacam should, if at all possible, only be used sporadically for bad days.
    One possible reason is if the dog is very elderly, and who might not be expected to live much longer than the time it could take for Metacam to start doing harm if used regularly in the longer term.

Thanks for that and will definitely discuss it with the vet. He's an 8 year old boxer rescue who was severely malnourished when I got him as a pup and has never had great hips but in the last year has deteriorated quite a lot and definitely needs some pain support.

I'm still no closer though to understanding why a drug is available in the UK for a quarter of the price it is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I was charged 30 for 32ml by my local vet. Just out of curiousity I checked the price online. In the UK you can buy the same drug, same amount for 7.50.

If this can make you feel better, over here in Italy it has the same price as in Ireland.

I take no pleasure from Italians suffering too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

our vet charges 52 Euro for 200 ml of Rheumocam...no idea how much that costs in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 10 WeLoveOldCars

I just got charged 60 euro for 100ml, I asked my vet for a prescription as I know being from the UK myself, that I can get the drug much cheaper there, but they refused me. Not sure of the law here, but it's illegal in the UK for your vets to refuse you a prescription.

So to answer the OP's question, yes I can explain it - It's called a rip off!!

More worrying is that I've been told my 8 year old husky will need this medication for the rest of her life, and that it was 'safe' long term, I get a sense after reading this thread, that may not be the case.

I had another dog 'passed away now' that was on long term medication for addisons disease, again a months supply came in at 64 euro from the vets, but I could buy the same medication (same meds for humans) from the local pharmacy for 22 euro/month, I only found this out as one time my vets didn't have it in stock and so wrote me a prescription and told me to get it from the local pharmacy. Hmmm rip off again!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

This is going to go down like a tonne of bricks but.... erm, generally I think we're undercharged for vet meds and services. I've had a whiskey tonight so I'll come out and say it.

I personally know a fair number of vets practicing both here and in the UK. While the Irish vets generally make more money than they would in the UK, they're not making millions and they go through similar training to doctors and cover a wider range of species. Compare the cost of a human hip replacement to a dog hip replacement - it's a bargain. You effectively have GPs doing minor surgeries and acting as anesthesiologists, and people expect this for a cost per hour that is less than of an accountant or lawyer.

With regards to meds, our higher VAT rate explains a small part of the additional cost. Speculation on my behalf: I imagine the fact that fewer medications are supplied to the Irish market compared to the UK market means that costs like being certified by specific boards must be split across a far lower volume of medication.

I should log off for the night because I expect massive backlash over this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP my guy has hip dysplasia and arthritis and so far I treat him holistically... you should look into this.

It probably won’t be cheaper but it will help reduce long term side effects as your dog is not that old .. long term use of metacam can / may (every dog is different ) cause all sorts of organ issues

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No comfort I know but the same for our OTC meds. eg simple painkillers, I used to live close enough to the Border to get all I needed in the North at a fraction of the cost. A friend from the US brings them in for me now.

Op - assuming you don’t have pet insurance?

Maybe ask your vet for generic brand .. but please please do your research into whatever you end up giving ... not just what your vet says .. to make sure ur 100% aware of possible side effects

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Choc Chip wrote: »
    This is going to go down like a tonne of bricks but.... erm, generally I think we're undercharged for vet meds and services. I've had a whiskey tonight so I'll come out and say it.

I personally know a fair number of vets practicing both here and in the UK. While the Irish vets generally make more money than they would in the UK, they're not making millions and they go through similar training to doctors and cover a wider range of species. Compare the cost of a human hip replacement to a dog hip replacement - it's a bargain. You effectively have GPs doing minor surgeries and acting as anesthesiologists, and people expect this for a cost per hour that is less than of an accountant or lawyer.

With regards to meds, our higher VAT rate explains a small part of the additional cost. Speculation on my behalf: I imagine the fact that fewer medications are supplied to the Irish market compared to the UK market means that costs like being certified by specific boards must be split across a far lower volume of medication.

a Vet medication licence for uk & ire can be applied for with the one form submitted to one or the other licencing bodies
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/veterinary-medicines-apply-for-and-maintain-a-joint-label-for-use-in-the-uk-and-ireland

Most vets didn't become vets because 'it pays well'. But your missing the point, would you pay 10e for a coffee just because the shop you bought it from was making less money than the accountant/law firm down the street. Or would you buy the 2e one from the local petrol garage instead?

Bear in mind that we've already paid for xrays/consultations etc to determine that our dogs have arthritis in the first place, and now we have to pay for long term meds at crazy mark up prices.

Ask yourself this, have you ever complained about the cost of insurance? Well these grossly inflated medication costs go someway to increasing across the board insurance premiums, as generally it's the insurance companies that end up footing the bill.

cocker5 wrote: »
    OP my guy has hip dysplasia and arthritis and so far I treat him holistically... you should look into this.

It probably won’t be cheaper but it will help reduce long term side effects as your dog is not that old .. long term use of metacam can / may (every dog is different ) cause all sorts of organ issues

I've been using Rhus tox, to treat my ones arthritis previously , sadly it's not enough in my case, but could you elaborate on what treatments specifically work for you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Homeopathic remedies like Rhus tox are pseudoscience, zero evidence that they work. Dogs won't even benefit from the placebo effect as in humans, since dogs won't even realise their taking a "medication."

ganmo wrote: »
    a Vet medication licence for uk & ire can be applied for with the one form submitted to one or the other licencing bodies
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/veterinary-medicines-apply-for-and-maintain-a-joint-label-for-use-in-the-uk-and-ireland

Fair enough! I'd still imagine there are additional costs (sales staff, admin, shipping) that are larger when you're bringing meds into a smaller population but I'm not working in pharma so I dont know for sure!

Most vets didn't become vets because 'it pays well'. But your missing the point, would you pay 10e for a coffee just because the shop you bought it from was making less money than the accountant/law firm down the street. Or would you buy the 2e one from the local petrol garage instead?

Bear in mind that we've already paid for xrays/consultations etc to determine that our dogs have arthritis in the first place, and now we have to pay for long term meds at crazy mark up prices.

Ask yourself this, have you ever complained about the cost of insurance? Well these grossly inflated medication costs go someway to increasing across the board insurance premiums, as generally it's the insurance companies that end up footing the bill.

I don't understand your coffee comparison - would I support smaller local businesses even if they're more expensive? Yes. I would.

And I don't mind if people buy their meds from abroad, I'm just saying that I think there might be a reason for higher costs and you might not be as ripped off as you think.

And no, i think my pet insurance is reasonable. I'm willing to give out about car insurance, but that's a different thread. ;)

I've been using Rhus tox, to treat my ones arthritis previously , sadly it's not enough in my case, but could you elaborate on what treatments specifically work for you?

ok so heres what I give Cody twice daily:

Yumove advance 360
    fish oils
    Turmeric Paste
    CBD oil
    Bone broth

twice weekly Hydro sessions

Magnetic collar

Good quality orthopaedic dog bed (super important) in a warm dry place

He's kept lean / fed RAW

what I would say is IMO no one thing is a miracle pill... you need to layer your approach... all of the above together has made a huge difference to my guy

keep them warm and dry when out walking

restrict jumping / stairs

try some home exercise to help with muscle mass - wobble cushion / poles and cones..

twice weekly dog massage - gentle to help relive some pressure on the muslces

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

good advice Cocker5 ^^^^^

Ive been giving my arthritic (hips) boy PREVICOX (and have reduced the dosage and also to every other day as he's doing so well). He also gets glucosamine/chrondroiton daily, and fish oils.

aonb wrote: »
    good advice Cocker5 ^^^^^

Ive been giving my arthritic (hips) boy PREVICOX (and have reduced the dosage and also to every other day as he's doing so well). He also gets glucosamine/chrondroiton daily, and fish oils.

Bailey has previcox too in standby in case he needs it. He won’t tolerate the metacam syringe especially with his jaw! He’s been on loads - rimadyl, previcox, metacam, onsior, tramadol, gabapentin - the vet we go to now is a bit more clued in to different groups of nsaids and would try different things where our old one was metacam or bust! He’s doing fine with laser, fish oil and dasuquin... but if he’s in pain he gets pain relief - I wouldn’t withold pain meds after doing my own research.. We’re in a different situation though where we’ve been managing his issues for years - he didn’t suddenly get old and creaky so quality of life pain free is the most important thing for us. Luckily his hips are fine because friends who had hip replacements said it was the worst pain they’ve ever had before they got the new hips(!)

He’s actually due his 6 month bloods in the next few weeks and I’ll be asking for a prescription again to buy (his thyroid pills) online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Fair enough! I'd still imagine there are additional costs (sales staff, admin, shipping) that are larger when you're bringing meds into a smaller population but I'm not working in pharma so I dont know for sure!

the issue is you're not comparing like to like, one of the sites shows the "vet price" and when you convert that to euro you get pretty close to the €32 price that was talked about here.
    So I'm guessing all you really want is an irish online pharmacy, and I don't see one of them starting up soon due to past court cases about remote selling of prescription medications.

ganmo wrote: »
    the issue is you're not comparing like to like, one of the sites shows the "vet price" and when you convert that to euro you get pretty close to the €32 price that was talked about here.
    So I'm guessing all you really want is an irish online pharmacy, and I don't see one of them starting up soon due to past court cases about remote selling of prescription medications.

I'm not sure if you mean me or someone else - I didn't mention having a problem with the cost of medications...

Trick I have found for those of you with Pet insurance - get all your supplements via your vet... if they don't actually stock them ask them to order in especially (mine does)

I get Yumove advance 360, Taurine, Fish oils and L carnitine for Cody each month.. and as its from my Vet I can claim it via my pet insurance handy knowing... for a whole year I sourced them myself with NO rebate ...

while my guys costs are a good bit each month between, supplements (even with the rebate), RAW, tumeric paste, hydro -they make a huge difference to his quality of life so I will forgo other things so he can get what he needs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If you look a bit harder, you can get it for 6.82€ :cool:

That's what you're seeing - the difference between a "bricks-and-mortar" practice and an online pharmacy. It has nothing to do with whether the vet is in Ireland or the UK (or France, where 32ml Metcam sells for around 30-40€).

Any difference between the two markets (apart from VAT) is because many of the on-line pharmacies in the UK have close ties to the kind of giant corporate vet practices that exist over there, giving them enormous negotiating power and the option of buying direct from the drug manufacturer.

Compared to those guys, your local vet will be buying tiny quantities from a co-op or wholesaler. On the other hand, he/she will not have to meet monthly quotas for x-rays, blood-tests, etc, dictated by an office somewhere in Middle England, so what you spend on drugs you'll save on procedures.

Advertisement