Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi grant 2016

Options
  • 30-09-2016 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

As I am studying in the UK, I was required to send Susi information of additional payments from student finance England. As my application for tuition fee loan has not been fully assessed, I sent susi a confirmation of my application and a guideline of what I could possibly be rewarded. Before I did this, I called susi and was told that all I need to send is proof that I have applied for a loan in the UK. But this morning, I received another letter stating the same thing. Talking to someone else about it, I was told that this happens quite a bit.Any advice? All would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

iamwanitta wrote: »
    As I am studying in the UK, I was required to send Susi information of additional payments from student finance England. As my application for tuition fee loan has not been fully assessed, I sent susi a confirmation of my application and a guideline of what I could possibly be rewarded. Before I did this, I called susi and was told that all I need to send is proof that I have applied for a loan in the UK. But this morning, I received another letter stating the same thing. Talking to someone else about it, I was told that this happens quite a bit.Any advice? All would be appreciated

AFAIK you need to provide evidence that the monies you have applied for in the UK are not from public funds. You cannot apply for funding/assistance from public funds in 2 countries to pay for the course. You would only be eligible for the maintenance part of the grant from Ireland unless the course is approved for the fees part under the Irish scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 iamwanitta

Sup08 wrote: »

AFAIK you need to provide evidence that the monies you have applied for in the UK are not from public funds. You cannot apply for funding/assistance from public funds in 2 countries to pay for the course. You would only be eligible for the maintenance part of the grant from Ireland unless the course is approved for the fees part under the Irish scheme.
    Of course. I only applied to Susi for maintenance, not fees as student finance UK covers that.

Of course. I only applied to Susi for maintenance, not fees as student finance UK covers that.

Just send in what you have. That's all they want is confirmation.

Just send in what you have. That's all they want is confirmation.
    Thats what I've sent in, but they sent out the same letter. And of course, online it's not even showing up even though it's supposed to be "updated regularly". I'll just call them in the morning and ask them to tell me exactly what I need to send AGAIN.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Thats what I've sent in, but they sent out the same letter. And of course, online it's not even showing up even though it's supposed to be "updated regularly". I'll just call them in the morning and ask them to tell me exactly what I need to send AGAIN.

They asked me for proof of independent living which I sent in, now they want me to send it in again :pac:. Them guys at SUSI just love the banter.
    Send them a message on facebook if you cant get in touch with them on phone

• Advertisement

Kal El wrote: »

They asked me for proof of independent living which I sent in, now they want me to send it in again :pac:. Them guys at SUSI just love the banter.
    Send them a message on facebook if you cant get in touch with them on phone
    They really do sent them about 5 messages on FB, still waiting for a response. When I tell them that I sent a message, they just give me that automated reply. They are such a nuisance

They really do sent them about 5 messages on FB, still waiting for a response. When I tell them that I sent a message, they just give me that automated reply. They are such a nuisance

#JustSusiThings
    But seriously they are a shambles

#JustSusiThings
    But seriously they are a shambles
    Sent me an email today , asking for the same bloody thing! I'm so over this

So because I lived abroad and dont have any utility bills saying I lived out side my parents house I have to apply as a dependent of my parents. This is a 30 year old man who has tax credits in several countries but has to apply as a dependent of his mammy :rolleyes: Oh Susi, you really are the best

I have now been asked again for proof of residence in Ireland. This has already been sent but now they need it sent again :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

They're an absolute disaster. I sent in all my docs, literally labelled them to show exactly what they were for... And SUSI still wrote to ask for proof of residence!

I called, explained I'd sent it in and they confirmed that yes it had been and sent it back for review. Added ANOTHER month of waiting.

Maybe call and tell them to check your docs because if it was sent it, they should have it on record and it'll save you resending it. It will increase your waiting time though.

They're an absolute disaster. I sent in all my docs, literally labelled them to show exactly what they were for... And SUSI still wrote to ask for proof of residence!

I called, explained I'd sent it in and they confirmed that yes it had been and sent it back for review. Added ANOTHER month of waiting.

Maybe call and tell them to check your docs because if it was sent it, they should have it on record and it'll save you resending it. It will increase your waiting time though.

I have called already, this was when they were trying to get me to reapply under my mother as I had no proof of residence, well besides the fact I didnt live in Ireland but that was enough for them :mad:
    Ill go back and print of same thing and use the aul highlighter for double effect to make sure they dont miss it

as I had no proof of residence, well besides the fact I didnt live in Ireland

If you didn't live 3 out of the last 5 years in Ireland, you do not qualify for a grant.

If you didn't live 3 out of the last 5 years in Ireland, you do not qualify for a grant.

Oh I have, they wanted me to have a phone bill/ electricity/etc bill to prove I didnt live with my parents in 2015, so I sent in my canada tax and they werent happy with it :pac:. Susi is known to be a joke of a organisation

Oh I have, they wanted me to have a phone bill/ electricity/etc bill to prove I didnt live with my parents in 2015, so I sent in my canada tax and they werent happy with it :pac:. Susi is known to be a joke of a organisation

If you were on a J1, working holiday abroad for 1 year and when you left Ireland you lived with your parents and then returned to Ireland and back to your parents, Canada would not be sufficient as living independently. The same rules applies to people that goto Australia.

But if you went abroad and returned living independently in Ireland then you would have qualified as the residence continued.

So I how long did you live in Canada, what reason and where did you live before you went and when you returned ?

If you were on a J1, working holiday abroad for 1 year and when you left Ireland you lived with your parents and then returned to Ireland and back to your parents, Canada would not be sufficient as living independently. The same rules applies to people that goto Australia.

But if you went abroad and returned living independently in Ireland then you would have qualified as the residence continued.

So I how long did you live in Canada, what reason and where did you live before you went and when you returned ?

I lived there for a year. I spoke to one of the guys working for Susi and he said it was crazy that it didnt count. I got a bill in my wifes name so it was grand, but still I havent lived in my parents house for years. When I returned from Canada I moved into a apartment which was fine as I then had a bill for 2016 but nothing for 2015

I lived there for a year. I spoke to one of the guys working for Susi and he said it was crazy that it didnt count. I got a bill in my wifes name so it was grand, but still I havent lived in my parents house for years. When I returned from Canada I moved into a apartment which was fine as I then had a bill for 2016 but nothing for 2015

Well, from what you've said I don't really see the issue from your side. Maybe send it to them in writing and ask them to clarify exactly what they need.

Well, from what you've said I don't really see the issue from your side. Maybe send it to them in writing and ask them to clarify exactly what they need.

Oh believe me, Ive rang and gotten confirmation what I was sending in was ok, then sent it in and been told its ok, then to get a letter 2 months later saying it wasnt ok

Oh believe me, Ive rang and gotten confirmation what I was sending in was ok, then sent it in and been told its ok, then to get a letter 2 months later saying it wasnt ok

Well if it fails based on not enough docs, you can appeal and then the student grant appeals board.

If you think you're getting nowhere now, let it fail and speed up your appeal.

Advertisement