Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW 316I E30 - Insurance help!

Options
  • 30-09-2016 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello everyone!

I am in search of an insurance companies who will insure me on a 1990 / 1991 BMW 316i E30.

Due to the fact that I will be using this car as my primary mode of transport for personal use only. I have not been successful, it seems classic car insurance polices are intended to be secondary. Please see below information in relation to the policy I am search of.

• Female.
    • 25 year old.
    • Full Irish License.
    • 6 years - No Claims.
    • 8,000 miles per year approx.

If anyone out there could help me out or point me in the right direction in order to get insured it would be greatly appreciated!

Please note the companies I have already tried are: Chill, Axa, Liberty, First Ireland, Champion, Carole Nash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AshBrady wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

I am in search of an insurance companies who will insure me on a 1990 / 1991 BMW 316i E30.

Due to the fact that I will be using this car as my primary mode of transport for personal use only. I have not been successful, it seems classic car insurance polices are intended to be secondary. Please see below information in relation to the policy I am search of.

• Female.
    • 25 year old.
    • Full Irish License.
    • 6 years - No Claims.
    • 8,000 miles per year approx.

If anyone out there could help me out or point me in the right direction in order to get insured it would be greatly appreciated!

Please note the companies I have already tried are: Chill, Axa, Liberty, First Ireland, Champion, Carole Nash.

Get letters of refusal from 3 companies and the 1st one you called has to insure you, you'll need to do it through the insurance ombudsman. There's no requirement for the premium to be reasonable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Check out this recommendation, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101184116&postcount=16

I too believed all "classic" policies were for occasionl/weekend use cars and not for daily drivers but the experience of poster Skatedude suggests otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If you have 6 years NCB, your last insurer will be obliged to quote you, even if they initially refuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Fbd might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

orm0nd wrote: »
    Fbd might be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I use first ireland brokers and have classic insurance on my 97 bmw with aig. It's my daily and only car. Limited to 6000 miles a year.

Try ringing them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

First Ireland had me on a limited mileage daily driver policy on a '94 3 Series a couple of years ago, premium wasn't bad either, but the insurance landscape is very different now. Give them a try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AshBrady

Thank you for your response. That is very interesting in relation to First Ireland Brokers. As when I phoned earlier today as soon as I said the car I was looking at was 1991 they said they could not insure it due to age. I also rang AIG earlier and they said the same.

I shall look into this again with First Ireland Brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Hello everyone!

Female.
    25 year old.
    Full Irish License.
    6 years - No Claims.
    8,000 miles per year approx.

What exactly did AXA say ? Decline or just expensive

cplwhisper wrote: »
    What exactly did AXA say ? Decline or just expensive

They declined due to the age of the car.

• Advertisement

They declined due to the age of the car.

Did you ask for classic insurance when you rang?

Skatedude wrote: »
    Did you ask for classic insurance when you rang?

Hey, thank you for your response.

I didn't specify classic insurance with Axa, should I have? Thank you.

Hey, thank you for your response.

I did'nt specify classic insurance withe Axa, should I have? Thank you.

you need to ask for classic insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

-If the BMW is your sole car or daily driver then AXA Concours policy is not applicable. As
    -Driver, minimum age 25, 1 of upto 4 cars on concours policy must be 25 yr old.
    -Full NBC on daily driver car policy.
    -Commercial NCB or vehicles don't qualify .
    -Jap Import Cars & track prepared cars excluded.
    -Full clean licence preferred
    -other T&C apply

-
    -

Advertisement