Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing/Repairing windows and doors

Options
  • 29-09-2016 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I moved into my new house this year and I've come to realise that may I need to repair or replace all the doors in my house and maybe the windows too.

The house is a 10 year old house that was sitting pretty for nearly all that time because it used to be a ghost estate. I did get an engineers report on the house and everything else was fine, bar a crooked gutter that was fixed. The original timber windows and doors are in place still. A few windows are a bit draughty and one or two have no seals (I know, seals are an easy fix). Nearly everyone of them is either stiff or a a challenge to close. I've notice in the last week since the weather has been getting colder that condensation is starting to form on them too. My front door is pretty pathetic. It's timber and a bit flimsy. There is a split in the timber above the window too. So there is literally no worthwhile insulation in the front hall... The french doors are warped. I can see outside between them at the bottom. They do give a sweet tune when it's windy though. And finally the door from the utility room is pretty much crap. It's flimsy, draughty and a b* to lock.

In total them, I've 15 windows (Mostly 3' and 4'), a front door, side door and french doors to either repair or replace. Would it make more sense to repair or replace them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wadpie

I was in similar situation to you, the house i bought has timber windows and doors. They were in good nick for the most part. Couple of sets of hinges broken, nothing major. Spent money on attic insulation, which I did myself. Walls were pumped when it was being built. So its nice and cosy without having to do a whole lot.

Replacing the hinges solved the draughts. Only window I had condensation on was in the master bedroom. Upgraded the double glazing in that window to A rated double glazing, that solved the condensation. Did it myself as I'm in the trade.

For replacing 15 windows, a good quality front door like a paladio, French door and side door you would be in the ball park of 9 or 10 grand.

It sounds like your doors are the biggest issue. If they are badly warped there might not a whole lot that can be done. It would be worthwhile getting a local window repair company to see what needs to be repaired and a price for doing it.

Spend a bit of time and go around all the windows and doors with a can of oil and oil all the hinges and locks. Know the condition of them. If the house was unoccupied for years, the hardware should be perfect albiet seized up from being idel. Just beware salesmen trying to sell you new windows when you don't need them. You'll have a fair idea yourself after spending some time on them. Check for warping with a spirit level.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Wadpie has great advice in hiss post, and just to add: the money that might be excessively spent on replacing windows could be better spent on other items like heating controls / ventilation, which might address the condensation issue more usefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭onzlo

@Wadpie That was a better answer than I thought I get, thanks a million :D I was looking around at the doors and I'm pretty much set on getting new ones. They genuinely are crap. I'd feel somewhat safer knowing that I have a stronger set of doors too. I'll clean and oil up the window mechanisms and see if that make a difference. But I'll have to get someone in to do any repairs on them.

@Dardania My heating controls are new (Since I presume the originals were gutted when the house was idle). I've a condenser boiler, zoned heating with thermostats and a new clock to boot. While looking at the windows, I actually noticed that about a third don't have trickle vents...yet another job to do.

Anyone know of any good window repairmen or companies that service Co Carlow?

Advertisement