Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alienware M11

Options
  • 29-09-2016 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,

My son recently purchased a used Dell Alienware M11.
    Working fine, went on holiday and when we arrived back after 2 weeks away plugged the laptop in but wont switch on.

The charger light is blue but when plugged into the laptop the light goes off and then remains off when you disconnect the cable.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Try starting it without the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭kbarnesie

tried that...

nothing happens

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Karlrocks23

Could be a few things. If you are having issues with it and it's only a few weeks old I would probably push for a replacement. If you get it back to life it's very likely to fail again. I've had an Alienware for the last 4 years and it's been fantastic, still super fast.

You might as well get in contact with Dell and have them deal with it!

Its not new purchased USED

kbarnesie wrote: »
    Its not new purchased USED

How old is the laptop?

If there is no life in it whatsoever its likely to be the motherboard. Any data should be intact though.

• Advertisement

Yes its a Motherboards issue.

Should I get it repaired or is it worth it ?

Depends. How much did you pay for it? How much will a repair be?

A full motherboard replacement can be risky. Did you confirm what caused the motherboard to fail? It's also possible other components have been damaged too depending on what happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Try removing the battery, the RTC cell, RAM and disconnect the HDD. Then hold down the Power button for 20 seconds. Without putting any of the removed parts back in, connect the Charger. The system should power on without having to press the power button. If it does there will be error beeps reporting the lack of memory. Replace the parts starting with the RAM then the RTC cell etc. If it doesn't then it's likely the system board is dead.

A replacement from Dell will cost about 600 euro and 150 euro for an engineer to call to replace it.

Ken

Advertisement