Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland season review

Options
  • 29-09-2016 3:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭

lost 2 wickets ODI v Zimbabwe
    lost 5 wickets ODI v Zimbabwe
    won 2 wickets ODI v Zimbabwe

won 5 wickets T20I v P.N.G.
    won 7 runs T20I v P.N.G.
    lost 11 runs T20I v P.N.G.
    won 34 runs T20I v U.A.E.
    lost 5 runs T20I v U.A.E.

lost 2 wickets T20I v Oman
    n/r - T20I v Bangladesh
    lost 12 runs T20I v Netherlands

lost 76 runs ODI v Sri Lanka
    lost 136 runs ODI v Sri Lanka

aban ODI v Afghanistan
    lost 39 runs ODI v Afghanistan
    won 6 wickets ODI v Afghanistan
    lost 79 runs ODI v Afghanistan
    won 12 runs ODI v Afghanistan

lost 255 runs ODI v Pakistan
    aban ODI v Pakistan

lost 40 runs T20I v Hong Kong
    aban T20I v Hong Kong

lost 206 runs ODI v South Africa
    lost 9 wickets ODI v Australia

ICC cup
    won innings and 26 runs UAE
    won innings and 107 runs Namibia
    won 145 runs PNG
    won 70 runs HK

So season finished until next March where we take on Afghanistan in India. What an absolute disaster this year was, some huge losses there against the big teams in what was probably our best ever fixture list. It's very disappointing because other years we have come quite close to an upset on home soil, but this year it was very uncompetitive.

Even more worrying is the performance compared to the teams on our level and below, 2-1 versus Zim and 2-2 against the Afghans and t20 losses to Oman, New Guinea, UAE, Holland and Hong Kong.

The only positive being the continued domination of the Intercontinental Cup.

While we've never been the best at t20 with a load of losses last summer, the collapse of the ODI side since the World Cup last year has been shocking. So what's gone wrong? There's plenty of issues there, retirements over the last years, new generation of players nothing being good enough, the likes of Dockrell and Stirling not fulfilling their potential.. these are all worthy of considerable debate but imo there are two clear issues that can easily be addressed and remedied first, Porterfields continued captaincy and the serious decline in fielding standards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Would you add in the Intercontinental Cup results?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

axe2grind wrote: »
    Would you add in the Intercontinental Cup results?

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Maybe we could get Phil back?

I was quite surprised with Bracewell's appointment and his public criticism of the players after Sri Lanka was for me out of order and not the way to get the best out of the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

axe2grind wrote: »
    Maybe we could get Phil back?

He's part of the problem, not the solution, in my opinion. We played with roughly the same 25 or 30 guys from 2007 to 2015, he was very poor at blooding & integrating new players, hence a lot of our newer guys are very raw.

Also, while a lot of the 2007 generation started playing against lesser teams (Free Foresters, anyone?) the current crop are starting against the full SA and Aus teams. It's a different baptism, and makes it tougher. Ireland as a cricketing nation is taken more seriously now too, putting more pressure on the opposition to play their full teams and roll us over.

It's not that long ago that SA played Ireland in Clontarf and there was no toss - it was agreed that SA would bat first, to give the crowd a show. We're well past that sort of messing, fortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

The OP makes for grim reading...

You could say that there wasn't enough opportunity to blood new talent during Simmons tenure. What was it.. only 9 ODIs against full members between the 2011 and 2015 World Cups? Had we played more games in that time (which, ironically, we are playing now) maybe it would have allowed more flexibility with team selection. But that's all hypothetical

It's easy to say in hindsight that we backed the wrong horse by putting all our efforts into gaining Test status and allowing our T20 game to deteriorate to the pitiful state it is in now but when 3 of your better players decide to play for England stating 'I want to play Test Cricket' would you blame us? Having said that we should have given Kevin O'Brien the T20 captaincy a few years ago.

I can't help but thinking its been a steady decline since Trent Johnston retired which is now in danger of becoming a freefall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement