Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic in Parkmore. Looking for advice

Options
  • 29-09-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I am thinking of changing jobs in the very near future and staying in Galway. Unfortunately most of the IT jobs tend to be based in Parkmore. I drive past the N17 entrance every morning around 7am heading into the city and its busy then. Obviously there has been greater coverage of the traffic situation following the planning decision. That said I have a few questions
    - What is the traffic like around 16:00.
    - What is the latest time I should plan for leaving if I wish to avoid the traffic
    - Is the build up the same on N17 and Briarhill side exits.
    - Even if new planning application was successful has anyone seen any dates as to when this might be finished. I assume we are looking at late 2018 now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

I'm living in westside and commute by bike to park more each day. Car traffic does slow me down a bit but generally its takes about a half hour or less. Occasionally go by car but if leave after 4 you're pretty much guaranteed being stuck in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

noBrain wrote: »
    Unfortunately most of the IT jobs tend to be based in Parkmore.

Eh?

HPE, APC, Boston, Oracle, Siteminder, Brightstar (may not be the right name ... someone Dangan starting with B), Fintrax, Avo, Avaya, Lumension, Thermo-King, Wayfair, Heat, Titan, various startups in Mervue Business Park and the enterprise centres around the place ... all not in Parkmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Eh?

HPE, APC, Boston, Oracle, Siteminder, Brightstar (may not be the right name ... someone Dangan starting with B), Fintrax, Avo, Avaya, Lumension, Thermo-King, Wayfair, Heat, Titan, various startups in Mervue Business Park and the enterprise centres around the place ... all not in Parkmore.

This is nitpicking, and not at all helpful to the OP's question. I really don't see why you'd even post this except to just antagonise. I'm sure the OP is well aware that there are other companies outside of Parkmore...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I wouldn't let the traffic situation dissuade you for taking a job in Parkmore OP. The traffic isn't that bad.

Where do you live? The traffic situation for you will depend on where you are coming from & going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eyeley157

Great question. I'm also looking at a job in Parkmore East, I am about a half hr drive past claregalway but could also come into parkmore through Carnmore. The hrs are 8:30-17:00. I am in two minds as I have a young child at home and don't want to be gone all the time. Is the traffic really as bad as they say? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

If you intend to leave at 4 then it should be fine. 5-6 can take a bit to get out. Depends which estate you're in as well.

If you intend to leave at 4 then it should be fine. 5-6 can take a bit to get out. Depends which estate you're in as well.

Won't be leaving till 5 and its Parkmore East, if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Eyeley157 wrote: »

You'll be at the start of peak time to get of out Parkmore East because you've the traffic from the big companies (Merit,SAP and I think Medtronic? - I'm across the road and can't remember what else is there) leaving at the same time. Could take a while. Also a difference could be whether you want to go for the Team Road or towards Briar Hill or the motorway.

You'll be at the start of peak time to get of out Parkmore East because you've the traffic from the big companies (Merit,SAP and I think Medtronic? - I'm across the road and can't remember what else is there) leaving at the same time. Could take a while. Also a difference could be whether you want to go for the Team Road or towards Briar Hill or the motorway.

I can go either way, not sure which would be less congested. It's frustrating eh

I can go either way, not sure which would be less congested. It's frustrating eh
    Turning right means you have to turn right onto the Tuam road which is probably a challenge and then you have a queue into Claregalway.
    Turning left there will be a queue to the lights but it should flow after that. You will have to try both to see which is the least worst option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It does. Parkmore East does not have the same TIDAL shift patterns that exist in Parkmore West. A lot of people work flexi time in Parkmore East. Get some small Q at 17h00. Probably the biggest delay (and most hazardous part of your trip) would be turning onto N17.
    City and County Council do plan to do something with this junction in 2017/2018

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Great question. I'm also looking at a job in Parkmore East, I am about a half hr drive past claregalway but could also come into parkmore through Carnmore. The hrs are 8:30-17:00. I am in two minds as I have a young child at home and don't want to be gone all the time. Is the traffic really as bad as they say? Thanks.

Getting out of Parkmore East is fine. It's the otherside of the roundabout that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

[QUOTE= Probably the biggest delay (and most hazardous part of your trip) would be turning onto N17.
    City and County Council do plan to do something with this junction in 2017/2018[/QUOTE]

It beggars belief that the junction onto the N17 at the bottom of the hill has never been touched by the council in probably over 20 years....

A wider junction to accommodate a roundabout
    A proper filter lane for traffic turning into the estate
    A number of possibilities which could have been carried out for very little expense. Then again, it is Galway City/county councils we are talking about.....

But then the road all the way out from Kenny motors to the parkmore junction is terrible. I wouldn't even dream of cycling in to work on this road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

UsBus wrote: »
    It beggars belief that the junction onto the N17 at the bottom of the hill has never been touched by the council in probably over 20 years....

A number of possibilities which could have been carried out for very little expense. Then again, it is Galway City/county councils we are talking about.....

But then the road all the way out from Kenny motors to the parkmore junction is terrible. I wouldn't even dream of cycling in to work on this road.
    The hazelwood road used to be a road where two cars could barely pass, never mind do 130kph like these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭what_traffic

UsBus wrote: »

Agree would not cost much at all - this is County Council responsibility. It is outside the City Boundary.
    I cycle to Parkmore and never use the N17 - the Hard Shoulder is in shocking condition. Would need a Mountain Bike with Full Suspension it is that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'm in Parkmore West and it was be an absolute nightmare depending on when you get out and when companies change shift patterns.
    Worst I've been in was 1hr 40mins to get from the company carpark to the Briarhill Junction.

I think the IDA themselves are starting a "working group" to address the issue. There was/is a working group but from memory it's made up of some of the bigger companies who were reluctant to let anyone else have a seat at the table.
    Not sure who put in tte submission for the relief road but it was so bad it looked like a poor attempt to be seen to do something, safe in the knowledge that nothing would be done!!

If you are going for a job there, check out what the company policy on flexible hours or working from home is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

OP if you're nearby, it might be worth driving to the place you're applying for and actually drive a commute at the time you'd be finishing. There will be good and bad days but it should give you an idea of the traffic and decide if you can live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The delays seems to back up from the junction onto the R339 and onto the N6 (with a lot of traffic trying to go left, Oranmore, motorway etc.).

Surely the cheapest solution would be to prioritise that flow of traffic during peak times (5-6pm) with the appropriating traffic light timings. The sequences don't seem to alter at all for those peak times at the moment and you have a huge line of cars waiting at a junction when the green road has emptied. This is a change they could try very easily.

Look at race week - Gardai give priority to cars leaving the race course exit onto Ballybrit Cresent and traffic flows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 apk2016

Just want to Jump in. Have been offered a job in Parkmore west beside Medtronic. Will be travelling from Headford road (I know there is a short cut onto n17). working hours are start at 7 to 8.30 and finish at 4 till 5.30... what would be optimum times to minimize traffic delay? would there me much traffic in getting out onto headword road at say 4.30?

Thanks for any help in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

apk2016 wrote: »
    Just want to Jump in. Have been offered a job in Parkmore west beside Medtronic. Will be travelling from Headford road (I know there is a short cut onto n17). working hours are start at 7 to 8.30 and finish at 4 till 5.30... what would be optimum times to minimize traffic delay? would there me much traffic in getting out onto headword road at say 4.30?

Thanks for any help in advance

I travel in from the Headford Rd in a time range around 8.45am - 9.30am. If you take a left at Ballindooly Stores then immediately left again, there is no traffic (You come out at McHughs Pub on the N17). There is a cut through you can take through 'Polkeen' but it's just a boreen so I avoid it.

Coming home at 5.30pm I travel down the Tuam Rd to School Rd (Castlegar) and take that to Ballindooly stores (unless the traffic is so backed up pass Roadstone quarry that I use the Polkeen cut through). You can queue getting out on the Headford Rd at the Ballindooly Cross Rds from 5.30 onwards but at 4.30 I 'd say it'll be fairly empty.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the reply MB

I am thinking of a 7.30 start and an 4pm finish. I think its best option traffic wise as I am travelling from ballinrobe.

The council really need to invest in this area as its turning valuable employees away from the dreaded commute to galway who are highly skilled

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭IBrows89

I used to work in Parkmore up until very recently and used to have flexi time, I went into work at about 07:30-07:45 every morning and tried to leave between 16:15-16:30. Only took 5-10 mins to get to Roscam then. If you leave after 16:30 it can be a nightmare, especially if you're at the back of the estate. At its worst it took me an hour and a half to get to Roscam, an hour of that to get out the industrial estate alone. It really depends on how far into the industrial estate you are working.

I now work just outside the industrial estate and haven't had any issues leaving in the evening but it can still be bad getting in in the morning, 07:45-08:30 especially bad.

I will be working across from Medtronic. if the new link road gets go ahead (board pleana turned it down) I will be the first building off the parkmore road (Brivant medical) and will not have to go through the roundabout at merit medical. I don't mind a bit of traffic as long as its moving!! if I could be back on the headford road in about 15 mins I would be happy enough

Advertisement