Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon KDP Account Setup Query

Options
  • 29-09-2016 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a few Irish tax/vat + general questions for setting up a KDP account on Amazon and I'd be really grateful if anyone could help.

1. Am I right to assume a KDP account must be setup through Amazon.com and not .co.uk? (everywhere points to .com)

2. I work full time and write on the side - evenings/weekends etc. Do I need to register for vat/tax in order to self publish and if so, what would be the requirements?

3. Hypothetically, say an Irish author releases a book on Amazon at $2.99 which places them in the 70% royalty bracket. As they are from Ireland, Amazon must also hold 30% of their revenue for tax reasons. Would that mean that the Irish author would only receive 40% royalty from each sale but if they applied to the IRS for an EIN number they are able to avoid this?

Quite confused about the whole process of self publishing on Amazon from an Irish perspective and would love if someone here would be able to shed some light based on their own experience?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭blue.jester

Hey,

I'm actually publishing on Amazon myself the last few years with my "Filthy Henry" series.

1) Yes you sign up on .com, but it distributes to all the ones you want. One of the last steps of KDP is to select the "Amazons" you want it available on.

2) There is an exception for Art that goes up to earnings over 36K a year. If you get lucky and make more than that first time out of the gate then probably need to talk with the tax man. Otherwise you should be good for now while you gather your followers.

3) No, they have a section that lets you supply your tax number for the country you are in. Basically you pop your PPS number into the system and that tells them you are registered elsewhere. The 30% thing doesn't apply to you then.

Advertisement