Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medion PC - Windows crashed during BIOS Update

Options
  • 28-09-2016 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Medion Akoya MD 8833 PC, which I've had for 8.5 years and had been working well.. up until Monday. I saw that there was a newer BIOS for its motherboard (an MSI MS-7502 v1.2), version 1.0R, which would allow the motherboard to recognize up to 8GB of RAM. I downloaded the updating tool from the Medion website (http://www.medion.com/gb/service/_lightbox/treiber_details.php?did=5815&hgt=13888). I backed up the old BIOS using the utility and then ran the Windows utility to update to the new firmware.

Then... during the update, the software hung and Windows crashed with the Windows 10 version of BSOD.

I turned off and on the computer and after 3 seconds, it powered down again. Same happened with every attempt, including after using the reset jumper on the motherboard. After three hours, I managed to keep it from turning off so quickly (by taking out the CMOS battery before booting up, turning off and re-inserting the battery). It beeps four times and then after a pause, beeped incessantly until I switched the PC off again.

I searched quite a bit on Google and it appears that if you put the BIOS code onto a pen drive and plug it in, you can recover the BIOS with that method once the PC goes into emergency recovery mode. I tried.. and the 4 beeps came and then no other noise. My monitor does not turn on with it, however (it is connected via a DVI cable). If I press Enter on my keyboard, the pen drive light lights up but no other noise or progress, even after 10 minutes.

I'm waiting to get hold of a VGA cable in case that is the only output that works during this 'emergency bootup' but I'm not sure that even that will work.

The instructions I had that suggested putting the BIOS are from the MSI website (https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/techfaqdetail.aspx?formid=3046). I think I'm following the process correctly but since the monitor is not receiving any signal from the PC, I can't complete the restore - assuming the BIOS is not beyond help now. The MSI forum doesn't cater for those with an OEM motherboard, like that from Medion.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences .. and if they got the motherboard working again? Or (as I'm suspecting) is my motherboard beyond help?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

Hi
    I think you might be right about the vga cable, I had issues with an old foxconn board before that wouldn't enter bios over dvi. Found an old vga and it let me straight in. I hope you can sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Hi
    I think you might be right about the vga cable, I had issues with an old foxconn board before that wouldn't enter bios over dvi. Found an old vga and it let me straight in. I hope you can sort it out.

I'm going to ask a neighbour over the weekend to see if he has one. Thanks for the feedback.. I'm clutching on for this as my last hope!

Advertisement