Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford this weekend

Options
  • 28-09-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

We'll visit Waterford for the weekend and wonder what we can do Saturday/Sunday. I'll arrive late on Friday with the last train and want to go to the Woodlands Hotel & Leisure Centre on the R683. What fare would I be looking at ? Or is it walking distance from the train station ?

Any suggestion what to do over the weekend ? Are there hiking trails or must-see-sights ? Where is a good place to see the football final (I am not a supporter, just someone not from Ireland who wants to enjoy the game).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Taxi from the train station would be about €15 to the woodlands hotel.

Will you have a car while you are in Waterford or just waking and public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

reni10 wrote: »
    Taxi from the train station would be about €15 to the woodlands hotel.

Will you have a car while you are in Waterford or just waking and public transport?
    Thanks for the reply. We have no car this time. I got a good deal with the train (22 EUR from Dublin return per person). I could rent a car but I'd prefer to walk around, obviously it depends on the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the woodlands hotel is not within walking distance from the train station, it is well outside the city centre but in a nice part of the city. apologies, but ive no idea how much a taxi is to that area, others will fill you in there. there are some nice bars and restaurants in the area though. it would be ideal to have a car as that would give you options of places to go to, otherwise you're depended on public transport, which i believe is not great in that area, but i may stand corrected on that, as i dont live in that area.

the 'local' mountains, the comeraghs, have some marked trails but you will need transport to them. are you a regular mountain walker? there are also some nice walking in nearby coastal areas such as dunmore and tramore, but again, can be difficult to access unless you have your own transport. tramore has a pretty good bus service to and from the city centre, im not sure about dunmore, but i believe the public bus service is not great.

the deise greenway is almost complete but most of it is accessible at this stage. again, it would be ideal with your own transport but you can still walk a large amount of it from the city centre.

http://www.deisegreenway.com/

i think you might be in luck with the weather so i hope you have a great time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

With no car and staying out in the woodlands you could get the public bus to the fishing village of Dunmore East from the main road in front on the hotel.

Lots to do out there including walks, bars, food etc.

If you are into hiking though the comeragh mountains would be the place but you will need your own car to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I think the medieval museum in the city always worth visit.Reginald tower and bishops palace too.of course,a tour of Waterford Crystal on the Mall interesting too, great cafe for brunch and cake there too.there are walking tours of the Viking triangle which get good reviews also.plenty of pubs for match...the reg in city do nice food or you could just relax in woodlands bar. You can get regular enough bus from near woodlands into city, reception tell you nearest stop.
    There is a pub called oscars just down road from woodlands who have good selection of beer including Waterford metalman and dungarvan.they do food and there is an Indian or Chinese there also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

There are buses running from city centre to tramore if ye fancied walk by sea,dooleys chips,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

taxi to Jack Meade's, done :D

Thanks a lot everyone, you have been very helpful. I can't wait for the weekend now :)

Thanks again everyone, we had a lovely time walking around. There was an island with a castle and a ferry ging to so walked there as well. Viking triangle is superb as well. And the Woodland hotel was fantastic. Next time we'll bring bikes with us and try out the deise greenway. That looks fantastic but we had no time for that.

Very friendly people everywhere, on the way back we had a bit of a traffic jam and nearly missed the train as it took much longer getting back.

One thing : we could not find a place in town to leave the luggage as the train station did not have a luggage storage facilities. We could leave it in the hotel but that is a bit away from the train station and we would have preferred to leave it close to the train station until late.

Anyway, thanks again everyone :)

Advertisement