Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Postal Bikes?!

Options
  • 28-09-2016 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi folks,
    Does anyone know what happens to old An Post bikes?

I think they'd make great restoration projects, such as a city cargo bike.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

When they get really battered and old in the bigger cities and towns they get shipped off to smaller towns and villages. By the time they're finished with there isn't much left to restore unless you want to go down the road of dealing with rust and welding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Thought you meant these!

1317221230304-16pm67e4w1q7q-1200-80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Friend of mine had a great old postie bike. Had a lovely porter rack, three speed hub and rear panniers but it was never restored and came to a halt.

His was great for getting around Dublin with bits and bobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

AFAIK, Wolfe Cycles in Sundrive have a load of these (or at least they used to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Wolfe service them. I'm not 100% if they sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wolfe service them. I'm not 100% if they sell them.

Ah right - I knew there was some connection with An Post delivery bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mickb

Hi,

Ever cycled a post bike? I did, lucky not as a postman.
    They are big heavy and hard to handle, that's before you put any weight on them.
    I would try one before making an investment into one.

MiCk B. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lot of changes in An Post at the moment. Maybe dust the ol CV off and send it in. If you're going to ride around on one of those clunkers, you may as well get paid for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Mickb wrote: »
    Hi,

Ever cycled a post bike? I did, lucky not as a postman.
    They are big heavy and hard to handle, that's before you put any weight on them.
    I would try one before making an investment into one.

MiCk B. :-)

As the postman whose round includes de Cauberg has shown us, it's ALL about the rider :D :

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

There were / are 5000 ex-Royal main 'Elephant bikes' refurbished and for sale in UK for charity.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/the-elephant-bike-is-250-of-ex-royal-mail-pashley-and-we-love-it-45555/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Just out of school I got a job as a postman. As the junior in the office I got the oldest bike to start off. Heavy, single speed, brakes using rods (they were next to useless) and the comfiest leather saddle I ever had.

The next generation had gears and brakes that worked but the saddle wasn't a patch on the older bikes so the lads in the office used to swap them over before sending them back.

They only had a basket at the front so the weight distribution was awful a couple of times at the start of a delivery the bike would flip forward when I got off it.

Happy memories :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Melodeon's film reminds me of the hilarious Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis.

which has a lovely scene (which caused a Belgian friend to fall off his couch he was laughing so much, and caused me to snort tea out of my nose) of postmen doing their round in a very friendly small town.

Dunno how elephantine the An Post bikes are. At first it was common for post(wo)men to use their own bikes, but now they all seem to use the An Post issue, which suggests that they're nice to cycle.

Advertisement