Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time camper buyers

Options
  • 28-09-2016 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Hi all - my partner and I want to buy a camper. We may venture onto the continent at some stage but maybe not in the near future. it would be mostly used for short trips in Ireland 2-3 night durations.

I personally have a preference for a smaller "van" type camper - such as a transporter/swb sprinter type camper. I know the downside with these is there is no toilet due to the smaller size. Is it silly to go for one without a toilet? We may not always stop at campsites etc with facilities.

I don't really want anything large as they are more hassle to park/drive/fuel and we just don't need the space. Also we don't have much use for our car so this camper will replace our car so needs to be parkable and not too cumbersome.

My choice would be a sprinter or some kind of Toyota van conversion.I do like the transporters too but have heard they are not as reliable as the Toyota/merc engines. 10k will be our max - we are trying to buy a house.

Any opinions? advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It is possible to get van-type conversions with toilet/shower rooms. Something along these lines:

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/vw-camper/13501264
    https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/2000-fiat-ducato-camper-2-8tdi/13500325

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I wouldn't be overly concerned about having a toilet. Our first van just had a porta potti that could be used in emergencies. I don't think it can be justified eating into the space within a compact camper for a toilet room. Much better to have the space for living and storage. If you want privacy, a curtain is a great way to make a quick partition.

If you are wildcamping, nature will offer many opportunities, with discretion of course. My other half found this invaluable: https://www.shewee.com/

If you want to go all out, you could try this:
    https://youtu.be/hyQCwEQa2QQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Fiat Ducato's along with the Peugeot and Citroen derivatives are the mainstay of this segment of the camper van conversion market and the vast majority come with W/C and Shower cubicle's. They are as easy to drive and park as a Transporter/Sprinter. I've driven all three.

I may well incur the wrath of certain parties, but here goes. I have always considered the VW Transporter and Merc Sprinter as a "day van", suitable for the odd overnight. Whereas the Ducato size van is one you could genuinely do Europe in and fitted with an awning is my ideal van.

I never underestimate the value of quality onboard toilet facilities for my "Commander in Chief". :)

http://www.southdownsmotorhomecentre.co.uk/new-2013-burstner-brevio-t600-fiat-130-motorhome-for-factory-order.html

http://www.convertyourvan.co.uk/fiatducatocamperconversion.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well the difference really is the smaller ones are camper vans, whereas the coach builts are motorhomes. If that makes sense?

Different sizes suit different people, and even circumstances. We've had both, and toyed with the idea of downsizing back to a transporter. But for us, the more use as a day van doesn't outweigh the comfort of the coach-built. When I win the lotto I'll have both though!

A lwb sprinter will be longer than a lot of coach-built vans. You still won't get in anywhere with a barrier (even a transporter won't get under them all). I don't really see much advantage in a big panel van conversion over a coach built personally. Length is more an issue parking than width in my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I may well incur the wrath of certain parties, but here goes. I have always considered the VW Transporter and Merc Sprinter as a "day van", suitable for the odd overnight. Whereas the Ducato size van is one you could genuinely do Europe in and fitted with an awning is my ideal van.
    LWB sprinter would be bigger than the ducato options (slightly narrower, but definitely longer). From memory, lwb sprinter is longer that the xlwb ducato. (I did toy with doing a conversion at one point - high roof lwb renault master I had decided as my ideal base).

Just to go back to the OP, if it is to replace the car as a daily driver, I really think transporter size is the way to go, as it will get under most barriers. Check out insurance options first though! But it is a compromise of camping comfort against daily convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

If you want to go all out, you could try this:
    https://youtu.be/hyQCwEQa2QQ

haha....how (why??) did you even find such a link????:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I used to lament not converting a bigger van but now I've moved back to the city it would have beed a disaster the lwb sprinter at over 6.3m long and a wall to wall turning circle of 15.3m would be physically impossible to park in my drive, my parents drive at the family garage it would scrape in but if anyone parked legitimately accross the road i couldn't get out.

Yurp living space versus parkability is a challnge for a daily. After 6m long parking gets difficult as it's outside the footprint of painted car spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I've a VW T5, which is a pretty small camper as far as things go. No toilet, no shower. My wife and I used this for a 2 week honeymoon around the west coast and because we were using proper campsites, there was absolutely no problem not having our own facilities. However, in advance of using the camper again for Electric Picnic, I bought:

- Andes Driveaway Awning
    - Kampa Khazi
    - Hozelock Portashower

The Kampa Khazi was perfect for those late night toilet trips where you can't be arsed walking to the facilities block, and I've seen reviews saying that if you fill it with cat litter and a bin bag, it'll all get soaked up and you can throw it into the regular waste bins.

The Portashower is amazingly good for the price and weight - I just boiled up a couple of litres of hot water, then about 2.5 litres of cold water in there, hand pumped the pressure handle, and had enough water and pressure for a good 4/5 minute wash off, more than enough to make you feel good when camping!

We used these at EP in the awning without the groundsheet, but in future I've a popup changing tent that I'm going to bring as well, and use that.

Anyway, all that is to say, you can absolutely survive in a smaller campervan without a built-in toilet and shower, and the above could help keep you covered in a pinch!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oh and some other advice for smaller campers - definitely get a roof box, buy one of these (if your camper doesn't have its own connection), these are great for internal stowage (although Ikea used to have a better sized version in their kids section that's gone now), Halfords has a good roll-away aluminium table that doesn't take up much room, and these are pretty good for a couple of days in the absence of a fridge.

One last bit of advice - DO IT :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    haha....how (why??) did you even find such a link????:)

I genuinely can't remember! :D Considering it's youtube, it was probably an early afternoon search rather than late at night. It does tend to resonate with anyone who has searched for a suitable location for a female companion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My van is a converted Citroen Relay: looks so ordinary, we can stealth camp on the streetside, and often have done!

There are two caravan type windows in the rear but that's the only sign outside.

Inside, there is space for a cubicle with a Portapotty (we call it the Loobicle, though we usually use a bucket for night-time peeing ;-))
    and still space for about a square yard of kitchenette with three burners, sink, and storage for food and dishes: and a table with seats that converts at night to double bed.

The Loobicle is about 32 inches by 28, curtained off.

The footprint of the van is similar to all the ones you mentioned: standard width but won't go under most height barriers.

From previous experience, a Transit makes an excellent camper - we had one in New Zealand - very comfortable and had a tiny shower/loo, too.

Advertisement