Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop playing Gaa

Options
  • 27-09-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

When is the right time to stop playing Gaelic at a decent level? How did you replace it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When some young lad gives you the runaround and your body says i have had enough.
    Take up golf then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I stopped when an injury got too much to take while playing on it, should've stopped two years prior to that if I'm honest.

Got into coaching almost straight after it for the most part I'm glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fire_man

Did you find it hard not going to training and meeting lads etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭KyranW

I'm 29 and I've my mind set on becoming a referee when I eventually finish playing. Nothing comes close to actually playing GAA but refereeing is probably the closest you'll get. I'm dreading the day I'll hang up the boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

fire_man wrote: »
    When is the right time to stop playing Gaelic at a decent level? How did you replace it?

When you see a match like last Sundays women's final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

KyranW wrote: »
    I'm 29 and I've my mind set on becoming a referee when I eventually finish playing. Nothing comes close to actually playing GAA but refereeing is probably the closest you'll get. I'm dreading the day I'll hang up the boots.
    Fair play if you do take up refereeing. Nowhere near enough do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bren2001

KyranW wrote: »

Play as long as possible. When you you're done, you cannot go back (within reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Granted, it's not a particularly high standard and it's in the US, but still:

57-Year-Old Impact Substitute Scores 1-1 In Junior B Game

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/kevin-barry-us-gaa-finals/345592

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

48 year old playing in our club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Did you find it hard not going to training and meeting lads etc?

Sorry just saw this, it's been a few years now and it's still hard to be honest but I do get enjoyment out of seeing my lads progress and even make county squads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

I'm 50, retired 15 years, coaching for 10 years, constantly puck around with my kids and still miss playing.

There's never a good time to retire

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Nothing replaces playing - stay at it as long as you can at some level.

I'd love to be able to play 15 mins as a sub in a junior C league game if I could! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

When I saw thread title, I thought it was another "stop playing "gah" and we'll win the pole vaulting and wendy ball" (No offence to either sports by the way :-)

I played until I was late 40s but was beyond the joke at that stage. To be honest, was just turning up to stay part of the team. Was well beyond being any use. Did get involved in underage teams for a while but hadn't the patience or skills for it.

There are All Ireland winners who never got used to not being players. not always in a good way.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

48 year old woman won an All Ireland medal playing with Leitrim a few years ago!

Lot of older players still play masters tournaments, so its not really giving it up, its changing the level you are at

I would find it hard to drop a level. Not having the speed and agility to perform as you used would get to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

48 year old woman won an All Ireland medal playing with Leitrim a few years ago!

Lot of older players still play masters tournaments, so its not really giving it up, its changing the level you are at

I believe the great Christy Ring played played senior inter county until 42. He continued with club for years after and was even asked to make a return to the county panel in 1966 at 45. He declined the offer when he discovered he wouldn't be starting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I coached underage for a few years after I stopped playing but missed having that competitive edge for myself so took up cycling. Cycling if the bug bites and you find that you are willing to put in the work will consume you. You get out what you out in as regards getting results if racing and if you are in a good club will have a social element as well.

Yes bought a racer so trying to get into cycling more this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I would find it hard to drop a level. Not having the speed and agility to perform as you used would get to me.

Your modesty would also be impediment :)

Advertisement