Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car thefts - Ashtown and Royal canal park

Options
  • 26-09-2016 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,
    I would like to ask people leaving in Ashtown and Royal canal park about feedback on the car thefts in this area.

We are looking into buying the house in Royal canal park. From my research - I received very positive feedback and had good experience with community in the area, however on 2 occasions I was warned specifically about the car thefts. Especially one of them said the car incidents in the area are frequent like every 3-4 months (car keying, breaking attempts, even steal & burn), however the person doesn't actually live in the area, so I don't know how much I should rely on this. I understand that the certain level of car theft happen everywhere and we would instal the car alarm etc. However we would not have underground car park, so the frequent cars theft attempts would be a worry. I called Gardai in Cabra but they refused to give their feedback.

Could people who leave in this area and own the car provide the feedback? Do you find it a relatively safe area for the cars or are there indeed frequent incidents of car thefts? If there were any incidents, were they recent or in past?

Thank you,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I can't speak for Royal Canal Park specifically, but for what it's worth I live near enough to Ashtown and can't say I've ever seen anything suggesting trouble. I've left my bike locked near the train station overnight, and once for two days (ill-advised I know).

Seems to be mainly young professionals in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Ive lived in Ashtown and Royal Canal Park for two years and never heard of a car theft or seen a burnt out car.

I have an idea there was a bit of a problem with that in 2006 or so when people first moved in but it was knocked on the head quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I live near there, havent heard any reports like that, it's a very quiet area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Good mate of mine lived in the Waxworks in Ashtown in 2014. Had her car broken into with little or nothing stolen. Car wasnt stolen or anything, just a smashed window. She had lived there for 3 years without incident which was likely just an isolated one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Especially one of them said the car incidents in the area are frequent like every 3-4 months (car keying, breaking attempts, even steal & burn), however the person doesn't actually live in the area, so I don't know how much I should rely on this.

Are you saying one car incident for every car owner every 3-4 months (highly unlikely) or one incident in the whole Ashtown/Royal Canal Park area every 3-4 months? If the latter, then that would suggest it's the safest neighbourhood in the whole country if it only has one incident every 3 to 4 months. No place is crime free so to have such tiny crime statistics would be utopia so I think you are unnecessarily scaremongering yourself!

• Advertisement
Advertisement