Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying new mattress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Currently have a Respa and find it great (way more comfortable than either of the King Koils that preceded it and for about half the price).

One tip we picked up the last time we were shopping was ask the sales person how long the demo model on the floor you're trying has been there and/or if there have been any changes to the model since it went out. We were all set on a particular mattress when the sales guy said to us the display mattress had been there a while and wasn't representative of how firm the model now was when we told him we have bad backs (I know, it shouldn't have been there so but that wasn't his call, he didn't own the shop, he was just the guy on the floor who knew the beds). Anyway, he pointed out another one only marginally dearer and it's turned out to be a great choice for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is a lot of old nonsense in the mattress business. It is very hard to know what is what. What is '5 star comfort'? Is 1400 springs a lot? Is more better? Who knows really, and the answer is it probably depends. Also, you never know where you are on price. Beds and mattresses always seem to be on sale.

Below is what I learned when I looked into it.

The basics of mattresses is the construction, not the brand. There are foam mattresses of various sorts, which actually suit some people fine, open sprung mattresses (with Bonelli Springs) which are a less expensive way of making a metal sprung mattress and then pocket-sprung, which has lots of individual springs and is more comfortable, but costs more to make. Generally speaking the layer of metal springs are wrapped up in something, typically polyurethane foam at the low end. A fancier, more expensive mattress will have a more expensive foam, or will have some proportion of natural materials instead of the whole thing being foam. Natural materials, basically, drive the price up.

If i were you I would make sure you buy a pocket-sprung mattress. Decide for yourself whether you want extra natural fiber, which will basically change the comfort a little and make the mattress a bit cooler to sleep in.

I have the Ikea model that is a good bit cheaper than the one you have highlighted (hovag i think). It is a great mattress in my view. A friend has that one that you linked to (Hesseng) and is very happy with it, though he has an Ikea topper with it to get it exactly the way he wants it.

One other thing to consider is the base. Ikea mattresses seem to be designed to be used with some sort of sprung base. I would make sure that since you are obviously going to spend a good bit of money here, that you make sure you have an appropriate base of a type recommended by the manufacturer of the mattress. The reason I say this is because it might not make that much difference to comfort but it might make a difference to how long the mattress lasts.

Worth reading for a bit of background. http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/a-good-night-s-sleep-that-is-guaranteed-irish-1.2056693 (the big point of this article is that mattresses are bulky, but the sale of compacted, rolled-up mattresses seems to have made the product less bulky, and this is the way Ikea sells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Im still looking going to try a few places at the weekend. Its quite difficult to shop around due to all the different versions in each place. Also might try order in the north with the sterling now.

• Advertisement

Bought the second one in the links above.

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Bought the second one in the links above.

Did you try it out anywhere? I was a bit dubious buying a mattress without trying it.

I assume you mean the King Koil 6ft Latex Support 1600 Mattress

Sorry it's MY 2nd link: http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/sea...ci102195001854

Yes, it's a bit of a risk alright but the reviews are all good. Building a house and simply don't have the time to go to the shops. Fingers crossed!

If it is a memory foam mattress be sure this is what you want. Lots of people like this, but some don't, because it can be a bit hot. Personally, I don't think I'd like it (though I haven't really tried them much, I'd likely get used to it).

Though if that's the way you were going, I would consider buying:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/mattresses/mattresses-toppers/hövåg-pocket-sprung-mattress-medium-firm-dark-grey-art-20258758/

(This is a great mattress in my personal experience, without any topper. There are better ones in ikea, but if you are putting a memory foam topper on it, then my view is that you won't get any benefit out of the better materials in the more expensive models).

plus a topper, maybe this one:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/mattresses/mattresses-toppers/tussöy-mattress-topper-white-art-80298153/

Buy 'em in Ikea, they come rolled up, and fit in the back of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Got this myself after trying it out locally: https://www.mynextmattress.co.uk/sealy-nostromo-1400.html

Worked out at 695 delivered which was 400 cheaper than locally and 80 cheaper than beds.ie with their latest discount code

Got this myself after trying it out locally: https://www.mynextmattress.co.uk/sealy-nostromo-1400.html

Worked out at 695 delivered which was 400 cheaper than locally and 80 cheaper than beds.ie with their latest discount code

My mattress size is super kingsize so the above is working out at €870 delivered v mine at €646 delivered. Thanks for the site though as I've another mattress or 4 to get yet!

My mattress size is super kingsize so the above is working out at €870 delivered v mine at €646 delivered. Thanks for the site though as I've another mattress or 4 to get yet!
    They're not like for like though. The mattress I linked to would be better and is still lower than the OPs budget judging by their original links.

No they're not but for my mattress do you think I should pay the extra €225? It's a lot of money but I can still cancel the order.

No they're not but for my mattress do you think I should pay the extra €225? It's a lot of money but I can still cancel the order.
    No not at all. I was referring to the OPs budget. Best advice would be to try mattresses locally and then look them up online. It's a lot to pay without trying first.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Hi,

How are you finding this mattress? I am thinking of buying it myself and am wondering if it's comfortable. Also how did you find the company to deal with.

Thanks

Im going to Newry on Saturday newryfurniture.co.uk were €400 less for the King Koil I was looking at in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Beware. You may pay for delivery but IKEA delivery men will not lift your large mattress up stairs.

Avoid if you live in an apartment.

dresden8 wrote: »
    Beware. You may pay for delivery but IKEA delivery men will not lift your large mattress up stairs.

Avoid if you live in an apartment.

A lot of mattresses at ikea are compressed and rolled up. You can bring them home in the car.

I have certainly taken delivery of heavy stuff, including a sprung bed base in a first floor apartment where there was no lift. I think their issue is with internal stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CPS84

How did you find this mattress? Did they charge much for delivery from the UK?

• Advertisement

Best mattress i've ever had. Delivery was 30 pounds

Advertisement