Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting broken laptops ready to sell

Options
  • 26-09-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have 2 laptops I want to sell- realistically just for parts.

One is a 2009 white macbook that doesn't turn on at all and has a rather "enlarged" battery. I brought it in to a place a couple of years ago and apparently it needs a replacement montherboard. I have no way of turning it on to clear the HDD.

Second is an Asus Bamboo, about 4 years old, running Windows 7. Only turns on when plugged in and sometimes the screen flickers, there's some breaks in the casing of the screen (which has already been fixed once). Otherwise runs ok. I dont have the need for a laptop anymore and I figure might as well sell them both.

I know I'll only get a couple of hundred together for these- if even- but I want to get rid of them anyway. What do I need to do to make sure they are ready to sell? Obviously I need to wipe the Windows machine and make sure it's empty etc but that's not possible on the Mac. Easiest just to take out the HDD there and sell without it?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Macbook should sell easily enough for parts - the body, screen, whatever, but realistically it's worth very little with a faulty motherboard. The HDD you can remove and connect to a PC or as an external drive to wipe, though if you're selling for parts, I don't think it makes much difference either way if you include it or not.

The bamboo isn't worth much either, even if it was in perfect condition it wouldn't be worth more than around 150. I would say if you got €150 give or take either side for both you would be doing pretty well. Easiest thing to do is just install a fresh copy of Win7 or Win10 on the Bamboo really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Cheers. I'm not expecting much tbh but better to get rid, they're just taking up space at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on the off chance
    with the Macbook reseat the ram, push firmly to the back of the socket

Advertisement