Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get turbo trainers working for Zwift / Strava

Options
  • 26-09-2016 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I have a turbo trainer and a Garmin 810, I am looking to get started on Zwift. What do I need and where can I buy it to get started?

Also does anyone know what the cheapest smart trainer is available that supports zwift and strava?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I have a turbo trainer and a Garmin 810, I am looking to get started on Zwift. What do I need and where can I buy it to get started?

Also does anyone know what the cheapest smart trainer is available that supports zwift and strava?

Zwift - Speed and Cadence sensor, computer that meets the minimum spec with an ant+ dongle, and a supported trainer. Zwift will work out virtual power. I don't use Zwift, but my strava feed suggests it will sync with Strava.

Strava on it's own - just a speed sensor on the back wheel. The 810 should do the virtual distance and speed. Not particularly meaningful, but it will do it. Garmins own is very easy to fit on the hub, but any ant+ one should work.

Not sure on the smart trainer - I went cheapest direct drive with the Turbo Muin, but think there are relatively cheap smart turbos. Halfords might be worth a look if you can get the axa discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Zwift - Speed and Cadence sensor, computer that meets the minimum spec with an ant+ dongle, and a supported trainer. Zwift will work out virtual power. I don't use Zwift, but my strava feed suggests it will sync with Strava.

Strava on it's own - just a speed sensor on the back wheel. The 810 should do the virtual distance and speed. Not particularly meaningful, but it will do it. Garmins own is very easy to fit on the hub, but any ant+ one should work.

Perfect, thanks for the clear response. Will any Ant+ dongle work do you know or does it have to be a Zwift one?

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I dont know for certain, but afaik any will work. 810 probably came with one? My garmin one works with Trainer Road anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭jamesd

I purchased a cheap Ant+ dongle and it worked fine for zwift, downloaded zwift onto the pc and the garmin ant agent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Tacx Vortex Smart is worth checking out. DC Rainmaker rates it as just about the best entry level smart turbo. Good article here... http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2015-2016trainer-recommendations.html

It's realistic to 7% gradient and beyond that it relies on virtual speed, your onscreen speed depending on your power output.
    Keep an eye out for online deals, you should be able to pick one up for €300 or less. I got mine in a sale for €300 and that included extra software and bits that would have added another € 100 or more onto that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement