Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has someone born in Kilkenny every played for Tipperary?

Options
  • 26-09-2016 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Question: Has anyone born and raised in Kilkenny ever played hurling for Tipperary? I have a vague recollection of someone in the late 90's, but the name won't come to mind.

Has any Tipp man played for Kilkenny either?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Didn't Denis Byrne play for Tipp for a short while?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

Denis Byrne.
    Matt Ruth played Intermediate hurling with Tipperary in seventies.
    Larry Keane Thurles Sarsfields won an All Ireland senior medal in 1958. Born in Kilkenny. His father Con Keane, born in Cashel, played with Kilkenny in late 1920s while stationed in the Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Radioheader

Thanks guys, that's who I was thinking of.

Didn't Denis Byrne play for Tipp for a short while?

Denis transferred to Mullinahone in 2003 and played for both Mullinahone and Tipperary for 2003 and 2004. He then went back to Graigue-Ballycallan

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭largepants

Denis transferred to Mullinahone in 2003 and played for both Mullinahone and Tipperary for 2003 and 2004. He then went back to Graigue-Ballycallan

Was there much hassle over that considering the local rivalry?

• Advertisement

largepants wrote: »
    Was there much hassle over that considering the local rivalry?

Well received in mullinahone given the quality and experience of the player. They were glad to have him. No issue there. Bit of skeptism though when he thrown his lot in with Tipp. Kilkenny supporters weren't pushed because he had been dropped by Cody. Graigue-Ballycallan were less than pleased though.

He received a bit of attention in the club games alright due to his place of birth but only really to get inside his head and put him off his game I'd imagine. He done OK for Mullinahone without shooting the lights out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It must have been a very weird feeling for him to pull on a Tipperary jersey as a former KK captain. I'd say he got some stick back at home.

It must have been a very weird feeling for him to pull on a Tipperary jersey as a former KK captain. I'd say he got some stick back at home.

Allegedly he was verbally abused by a former club-mate during one Tipp v KK championship match back in 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Allegedly he was verbally abused by a former club-mate during one Tipp v KK championship match back in 2003

Banter !

Banter !

No apparently this did happen. Said player was made apologise to Denis at a following club meeting from what im told at the time. Fair enough i suppose he was fired up and things got heated. Heard this from a very very good source. It was also said that some of the Tipp panel wasn't happy with his inclusion and made it openly known to Michael Doyle. Nothing personal against Denis im sure who im told was a outstanding and dedicated trainer and great example to the youngsters but the ease in which he was selected before even playing a single club game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It wasn't a popular move among the KK fanbase anyway, I know that much. Great way to get a bit of elbow room in the pub for yourself.

Advertisement