Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What size van rental?

Options
  • 25-09-2016 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Im looking to rent a van in a week or two to move our things into our new house. It's our first time doing this and ive no idea what size to go with. The biggest item we will have would be a single bed and a dressing table that is 14.5 cm long. Any idea what size van we should go with? i obviously don't want to go with something too big.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

How far are you going. If it's only a few miles a smaller van will be easier to drive and park. If it's a long way it would pay to bring more each time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

Going from Lucan to Swords in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Pric them as well.
    For me it was a few quid cheaper to hire the biggest van enterprise had over a medium sized van.
    Another thing is are you happy driving a large van

ya i don't mind driving a fairly large van. I don't have a D1 licence so it would have to be big enough to drive on a reg licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

mollybird wrote: »
    Im looking to rent a van in a week or two to move our things into our new house. It's our first time doing this and ive no idea what size to go with. The biggest item we will have would be a single bed and a dressing table that is 14.5 cm long. Any idea what size van we should go with? i obviously don't want to go with something too big.

Thanks

The taller one, but standard length. Something of such type:

opel-vivaro-2-0-cdti-l1h2-16907349-1.jpg

Don't go with standard height, it is not really useful for moving furniture...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

mollybird wrote: »
    ya i don't mind driving a fairly large van. I don't have a D1 licence so it would have to be big enough to drive on a reg licence.

I borrowed a high roof lwb transit when I was moving last year. Pack it smartly and you'd be amazed at how much it will take. I did an ikea run and got 2 couchs, a double bed and mattress, a wardrobe, 2 bedside tables, a large coffee table, 2 end tables and various other bits and bobs. I then collected a king size and bed and mattress on the way down and it swallowed it all with ease. Fair enough most of it was in boxes and flat but it still took up a lot of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Moved house yesterday. Distance between houses is only about 8km. We had tried to get a box van with lift, so we would only have to make 1 trip. We managed to get a VW Transporter. Moved a double bed (taken apart), two 2m tall bookcases, fridge, couch, washing machine, 2 bikes and a load of loose stuff in 3 trips. More boxes had been moved full of other stuff over the past couple of weeks. But I reckon all the boxes would have just been another trip in the van.

Sounds like a regular size van would do the trick, but bigger the better for getting it all in one trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

What size place are you moving from?

Also, have you looked at man + van prices? Someone with a Luton or any 3.5 tonne truck will easily move everything from a 2 bed apartment in one trip, will offer an extra pair of hands and may well work out cheaper. You need to be properly organised for that though.

ill be doing the driving of the van. we have family all roped in to help so no need for a driver. think i found one that will work for us with Europcar. so think ill go with that one.

Advertisement