Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade GPU now or CPU/RAM/MOBO?

Options
  • 25-09-2016 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

My build is as follows;

GPU: MSI 960 4GB
    CPU: i5-4460
    MoBo: Asrock B85 Anniversary
    8GB of 1600mhz DDR3 RAM

My budget is around €500-600. I'm conflicted as to what I should upgrade! Any and all advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Just the GPU, add an SSD if you don't have one, everything else is sound

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

My build is as follows;

GPU: MSI 960 4GB
    CPU: i5-4460
    MoBo: Asrock B85 Anniversary
    8GB of 1600mhz DDR3 RAM

My budget is around €500-600. I'm conflicted as to what I should upgrade! Any and all advice welcome.

A new GPU would offer you the best bang for buck as the 960 is the only real weakness in your current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dirk Hardpeck

Sound, fellas.

Mindfactory still the best place to use now that hardwareversand is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Sound, fellas.

Mindfactory still the best place to use now that hardwareversand is gone?

It kinda depends on what GPU you plan to get. I'v been looking at 1070's and the difference in price is so small, I'm gonna stick with Amazon or Overclocker's to avoid any hassle such as having to use PayPal or parcel motel.

Venom wrote: »
    It kinda depends on what GPU you plan to get. I'v been looking at 1070's and the difference in price is so small, I'm gonna stick with Amazon or Overclocker's to avoid any hassle such as having to use PayPal or parcel motel.

1070 was my preferred GPU but now I'm contemplating saving up some more and going for the 1080. I game on a UHDTV and I'd like to play in 4k even it means lowering some settings etc.

And yeah, if Mindfactory don't accept credit/debit cards then I'll give them a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I prefer OCUK, faster shipping, better customer service, and they offer free shipping to ireland on a lot of graphics cards, so any savings on MF tend to be negated with their €30 shipping fee.

Sell the GTX960 for €130-150 and get a good value RX480 8GB or GTX1060 6GB at around €280-300 if you're on 1080p, everything else is fine and not worth upgrading.

RX480 4GB model also worth considering at 1080p at around €230-240 delivered. At this point I'd probably skip the GTX1060 3GB model if you're the sort to hang onto a card for years, if you're an annual or 18 month upgrader, that would also be a grand option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Even at 4K I'd stick with a good GTX1070. The 1080 is €200 more and only about 15% faster. I couldn't justify getting one.

There'll probably be a 1080Ti or similar to effectively step it up but for now I find the GTX1080 very hard to recommend. Same as the GTX970/GTX980 situation last generation.

Even at 4K I'd stick with a good GTX1070. The 1080 is €200 more and only about 15% faster. I couldn't justify getting one.

There'll probably be a 1080Ti or similar to effectively step it up but for now I find the GTX1080 very hard to recommend. Same as the GTX970/GTX980 situation last generation.

Yeah, checked out a few digital foundry videos and the leap from 1070 to 1080, price wise, isn't worth it.

Thanks again!

Advertisement