Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on First Gaming PC

Options
  • 24-09-2016 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Forgive me for not using the forum template but I first need help to decide what I want and how much I need to spend.

I'm a life-long console gamer but I recently set up a Steam account to play some indie titles on my Mac, games like To the Moon, Papers, Please and FTL. All low-spec stuff that my Mac can handle. But I've been coming across more and more games that I'd need a better computer for. However, I have no real interest in AAA titles. I have my PS4 for the likes of the upcoming Dishonored and Mass Effect games and I'm quite happy with that set-up. I simply need a decent machine that will allow me to play titles like We Happy Few for the next 3-5 years.

I initially had a budget of €1500 in mind, which would include a monitor, mouse/keyboard & Windows.

However from a quick scan of this forum I can see that other people have set themselves similar budgets for much more capable machines than that which I would need.

So just how 'cheap' could I go? Could I go all-in for €750 or would that be pushing it?

Also, is a gaming laptop a waste of money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Gaming laptops aren't a waste but aren't great value for money compared to PCs.

Our general €650 PC I can link you to will absolutely blow your PS4 out of the water so keep that in mind, games tend to be cheaper etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

I recently build my first gaming PC and did it for 520 euros.
    It handles anything I wanna play no problem (not at ultra setting but very playable at 1080p).
    The price didn't include a monitor as I use a 23 inch TV I had spare.

So I'd say 750 would be more than enough for a decent first gaming PC and a monitor.

I went for the Intel i3 6100 CPU with a GTX 750ti GPU and it runs great (thanks again DigitalSolitude and Terror for the advice).

I'm sure someone on here will give you a build spec to go for within you budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057650972/1

Here we are. As in the thread, €700 with a 1tb HDD, a monitor is about 120-150 so about 850 minimum. You can pull that back below 800 with an RX460 which is about as good as a PS4, and closer to €700 total with an i3 but the i5 will carry you years so might be worth keeping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Cheers guys. You've almost halved the price for me.

Advertisement