Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agents in Limerick - Best Rates

Options
  • 24-09-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi. I'm about to sell a house in Limerick. Just wondering if anyone knows which auctioneer/estate agent offers the best fee (within the usual cited range of 1% to 2.5%)? I'd try selling it myself on Daft to save the cost of their fee but a bit wary of that.

I can't find any info on their fees on the Web. ..nor discussions on price comparisons. So..if anyone has any hints or experience with same, please pass on. Also, any room for haggling? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

On phone so in brief. Sold hse in Dooradoyle in 5 days via daft.ie ONLY.

People seem ridiculously hung up on just having an Auctioneers sign for garden.... save yourself 2k, go on holidays or maybe spend the 2k on landscaping and then possibly get an extra 5k on sale of house as a net result!

Auctioneers pretty much always show houses poorly - Do it youself with enthusiasm and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Mango Joe wrote: »
    On phone so in brief. Sold hse in Dooradoyle in 5 days via daft.ie ONLY.

People seem ridiculously hung up on just having an Auctioneers sign for garden.... save yourself 2k, go on holidays or maybe spend the 2k on landscaping and then possibly get an extra 5k on sale of house as a net result!

Auctioneers pretty much always show houses poorly - Do it youself with enthusiasm and effort.

Can only say 1000plus. Use Daft. Thats what they do and charge you 1.5% for OPEN viewings..They could not even be arsed to show people individually. You know what your house is worth. You know the details..they dont. In a sellers market there is no need for an auctioneer. Put the house on daft..use the auctioneers open viewing method. Once a price is agreed tell the buyer to lodge a booking deposit with your solicitor and job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Around 1% is going rate. If its higher than 1.25% and u don't haggle it down yer just giving money away.

Is your house identical in size shape color feature etc to another house that sold last week? Sure there are houses that will be obvious to price.... mine was unique.

my auctioneer earned every penny...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sellertobe

That''s really encouraging. Definitely going to follow up on the Daft advice. I guess I'd be a bit wobbly if there was a dodgy viewer or if there was bidding.

Putting the money into preparing the house well as you say makes a lot more sense and can up the price...I'm going to give it a try.

My auctioneer got 25% more than the initial bid I was offered... managed 6 different bidders as well. As you say, she also had to handle one "dodgy" bidder that offered cash at the last minute but turned out to be a total scam.

I've never heard of open viewings either so take some of the advice above with a little scepticism. All bidders were treated fairly and separately in my case. Dooley was mine, will use again tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I would much prefer to deal with a house owner when buying. We have been looking for 1.5 years and the only EA i could say were professional to deal with were Sherry Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

Very interesting reading here. I'm having a torrid time tying to move at the min. We've a house that we are keen on but have our own (my house) to sell. Been looking 8 months and auctioneers seem to be getting a lot of cash for very little work. I've an offer in on one place two weeks tomorrow - and no update from them.

We don't want to put my house up just yet, as it needs to sell in a fixed time frame to keep my tracker and I was strongly thinking of doing it myself via daft.ie only. House should sell quickly. It's in a great location, close to town, schools, UL, etc... And is in great order.

I'm painfully well organised, and have a good friend who is a solicitor so it's great to see the positive replies above about selling on daft. I could handle the viewings and he can handle the rest.

Buyers and sellers need a tremendous amount of patience in limerick atm.

My house went up 4 sale in march. I got paid and handed over keys in August. 5 months is painfully long time both sides imho. Nothing unusual in our case... it seems that this is normal speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

yankinlk wrote: »
    Buyers and sellers need a tremendous amount of patience in limerick atm.

My house went up 4 sale in march. I got paid and handed over keys in August. 5 months is painfully long time both sides imho. Nothing unusual in our case... it seems that this is normal speed.

And this is precisely the reason I haven't put mine up. There's a 6 month 'window' for us to have sold one and bought the other, in order to keep the tracker. Fun times ahead.

My auctioneer got 25% more than the initial bid I was offered... managed 6 different bidders as well. As you say, she also had to handle one "dodgy" bidder that offered cash at the last minute but turned out to be a total scam.

I've never heard of open viewings either so take some of the advice above with a little scepticism. All bidders were treated fairly and separately in my case. Dooley was mine, will use again tbh.

How did the auctioneer get 25% more? There is a bidding process that always starts low and ends with a sale agreed price once the other bidders fall out. You do not need an auctioneer for this.

Again an auctioneer can do nothing about a "dodgy" bidder. Im not sure how you would scam someone on the sale of a house. The solicitor handles all the money and legals. If you have a modicum of interest or knowledge you are best spending the thousands an auctioneer will charge you on the property before the sale and enjoy seeing the bids come in yourself and be happy that you have shown any potential buyers the best points of your property. An auctioneer wants a quick sale with minimum effort and maximum commission and generally does not have the buyer or sellers best interests to the fore.
    For an example if you look at Dooleys pictures on their website of properties for sale you will see badly presented properties with 1 horrible photo. All serious auctioneers should have a professional photographer take photos of a fully presented property. Not use a camera phone and upload them to daft through their mobile.

• Advertisement

jsd1004 wrote: »
    How did the auctioneer get 25% more? There is a bidding process that always starts low and ends with a sale agreed price once the other bidders fall out. You do not need an auctioneer for this.

Again an auctioneer can do nothing about a "dodgy" bidder. Im not sure how you would scam someone on the sale of a house. The solicitor handles all the money and legals. If you have a modicum of interest or knowledge you are best spending the thousands an auctioneer will charge you on the property before the sale and enjoy seeing the bids come in yourself and be happy that you have shown any potential buyers the best points of your property. An auctioneer wants a quick sale with minimum effort and maximum commission and generally does not have the buyer or sellers best interests to the fore.
    For an example if you look at Dooleys pictures on their website of properties for sale you will see badly presented properties with 1 horrible photo. All serious auctioneers should have a professional photographer take photos of a fully presented property. Not use a camera phone and upload them to daft through their mobile.

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I have given mine. Let's leave it at that. Dooleys was an excellent service for me. 5 months headache would have been torture without them. U obviously have tremendous confidence in your supreme knowledge of all things house selling... I did not. I might have accepted the first offer that was 25% less than my final sale price. That would have been silly when it only cost me 1% to have a professional handle my sale!

Btw original bidder was the same one that paid 25% more in the end. And they were so happy with the result (so was i) they wrote me a personal letter of thanks.

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I have given mine. Let's leave it at that. Dooleys was an excellent service for me. 5 months headache would have been torture without them. U obviously have tremendous confidence in your supreme knowledge of all things house selling... I did not. I might have accepted the first offer that was 25% less than my final sale price. That would have been silly when it only cost me 1% to have a professional handle my sale!

Btw original bidder was the same one that paid 25% more in the end. And they were so happy with the result (so was i) they wrote me a personal letter of thanks.

Why were they thanking you. Your auctioneer should have done all the dealings? That's why you paid them several thousand euro.

Just to clarify..An EA will suit some people. If for instance you dont have time or interest in showing interested parties your property. Same with a rental property. An EA will rent for you as well.
    In a rising market it is not difficult to sell a property and an EA will face the same challenges as a private seller regarding validity of bids, people claiming to be cash buyers etc.
    It is always worth trying to sell your property privately before enlisting an EA. You have nothing to lose except the daft price advert.
    If you believe an EA will get more money for your property then it is obvious to go with them. I would suggest asking any prospective EA how they plan to market your property and how they will generate any more interest then if you list it yourself on Daft.
    Look over their other Daft ads for quality of photographs and how they word their advertisements on different properties.
    Ask them what they expect your property to achieve, they will probably ask you what you are expecting but do not reveal this.
    Ask them if they have any objection to you selling it privately in conjunction with them listing it as well. They should have no objection to this if they believe that they will ultimately get a higher sale price. My experience would be that most buyers would prefer to deal directly with the seller over an EA.

**i will disclaim that i am a professional landlord and property investor that have bought and sold privately and through EAs and rent exclusively privately**

Why were they thanking you. Your auctioneer should have done all the dealings? That's why you paid them several thousand euro.

They thanked me because they were Happy with the result! Even tho they had to rebid against 5 other bidders, many many times... and eventually paid far in excess of their original offer.

NOT using an EA will NOT suit MOST people. Its their job, they are good at it. People that save a few thousand (approx 1k on every 100K) to DIY sell... and have no experience with being patient, waiting for higher bids, the ability to unemotionally weigh the good bidder vs the bidder with NO actual bank approval...etc etc etc. Its not an easy job.

Investors certainly would be biased to WANT to deal directly with Sellers... cause they know exactly what I have said is true!

They thanked me because they were Happy with the result! Even tho they had to rebid against 5 other bidders, many many times... and eventually paid far in excess of their original offer.

NOT using an EA will NOT suit MOST people. Its their job, they are good at it. People that save a few thousand (approx 1k on every 100K) to DIY sell... and have no experience with being patient, waiting for higher bids, the ability to unemotionally weigh the good bidder vs the bidder with NO actual bank approval...etc etc etc. Its not an easy job.

Investors certainly would be biased to WANT to deal directly with Sellers... cause they know exactly what I have said is true!

It is an easy job! But not as you point out if you have any of the traits you mention above. A lot of EA's have the exact same traits you mention above and ultimately only care about their commission. Just because it is their job does not mean any of them are any good at it!

If you have such great faith in EA's why did you post this in a separate thread?

"Truth is the EA is not so worried about making the seller top price as you think. They are much more worried of losing the sale entirely and getting zero commission.

As a contingency for my buyer messing about I will advertise renting to students. Complete this month or I'll just pack them in and sell for 20k more next year."

It is an easy job! But not as you point out if you have any of the traits you mention above. A lot of EA's have the exact same traits you mention above and ultimately only care about their commission. Just because it is their job does not mean any of them are any good at it!

If you have such great faith in EA's why did you post this in a separate thread?

"Truth is the EA is not so worried about making the seller top price as you think. They are much more worried of losing the sale entirely and getting zero commission.

As a contingency for my buyer messing about I will advertise renting to students. Complete this month or I'll just pack them in and sell for 20k more next year."

I always love posters on boards.ie that turn into stalkers. Every post I write is truth. That post was my reaction to a bidder that was potentially trying to reduce their bid!

Guess who sorted that delicate matter like a pro? My ea! Thanks for digging up more ammo for my side of the argument lol.

On a separate note.... if u plan to stalk me further u will see I hate that buyers do not hire agents as well as sellers! That is the full picture of my opinion... a more balanced market where an ea would have to represent both sides!

But hey. Don't hate the player hate the game.

I always love posters on boards.ie that turn into stalkers. Every post I write is truth. That post was my reaction to a bidder that was potentially trying to reduce their bid!

Guess who sorted that delicate matter like a pro? My ea! Thanks for digging up more ammo for my side of the argument lol.

On a separate note.... if u plan to stalk me further u will see I hate that buyers do not hire agents as well as sellers! That is the full picture of my opinion... a more balanced market where an ea would have to represent both sides!

But hey. Don't hate the player hate the game.

:D I give up. Hope you meet a great EA when you are back in buying..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭McSween

In my 12 years experience not once dis I ever come across a situation when an EA would agree with a house owner trying to sell it themselves as a ‘joint agent’. If a house owner suddenly takes a house off the market it sometimes means they have agreed a sale but a for sale sign on the house has drawn attention therefore EA is entitled to a fee. It happened several times.

Advertisement