Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speakers messed up pc?

Options
  • 24-09-2016 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭

Having some trouble, and before I do too much trouble shooting and mess anything up more than it already is, thought I would ask the fine people who helped me build the pc in the first place.

I acquired some speakers for my pc recently from a friend, they seem to work fine.

When I plugged them into the pc the first time (rear auxiliary port) the sound didn't come through them but still my tv speakers. So thought setting them as default and a restart would sort it out.

Here's where the trouble starts. When trying to restart my pc, nothing happened. Clicked it again, still nothing. Then about a minute later it started the restart process.

During the restart, the pc seemed to get stuck on the restarting screen. I had to physically shut down the pc, using the power button. Waited a minute, restarted it, and all I got was a black screen with a white flashing dash in the top left corner.

So restarted again with reset button, and this time it went to the windows log in screen but it took a while to get there. Logged in, and went to open steam, which took about a minute to happen. I have windows 10 and steam both on the same ssd and used to be quite quick.

Once in steam, it didn't show any of my games as installed. Checked and neither of my other 2 HDD's were showing up, where the games are installed.

Decided it can't be a coincidence. Unplugged the speakers and restarted again. Got the black screen again. Then did a reset and from there pc seemed to be back to normal, fast response, all HDD's showing up.

Then this morning started the pc up and a black screen came on saying a OS couldn't be detected and to unplug any other HDD's apart from the one with the OS on.

Haven't had time to look into it more, but is it possible that by plugging speakers into the aux it managed to mess the pc up this bad?

Where do I start to salvage the situation?

FX6300
    Asrock pro3 r2.0
    Speakers are labtech I think, got it free from a friend, soon to be ex friend ;)
    Windows 10 pro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Soon to be ex friend are you joking? It sounds like your SSD has gone belly up and not your friends speakers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Well there is a winky face after that, so yeah was just joking.

So coincidence that the ssd has gone tits up at the same time I connected the speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Jacovs wrote: »
    Well there is a winky face after that, so yeah was just joking.

So coincidence that the ssd has gone tits up at the same time I connected the speakers?

Absolute coincidence.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Absolute coincidence.

This sounds like something Id hear when I was working on a IT help desk. :D

Well I got home and started the pc up again, got the same black screen saying no OS detected. Went into the EUFI and it showed the SSD and my 2 other HDD's.
    Decided to open up the PC and make sure all the connections are okay. Fiddled a bit, some seemed loose.
    Restarted the pc and everything seems fine again now.

Thanks to those who took the time to read the lengthy OP.

• Advertisement

Well I got home and started the pc up again, got the same black screen saying no OS detected. Went into the EUFI and it showed the SSD and my 2 other HDD's.
    Decided to open up the PC and make sure all the connections are okay. Fiddled a bit, some seemed loose.
    Restarted the pc and everything seems fine again now.

Thanks to those who took the time to read the lengthy OP.

Sounds good,
    So you are friend are best mates again.

stevek93 wrote: »
    Sounds good,
    So you are friend are best mates again.

That remains to be seen, I'm yet to connect the speakers again lol

That remains to be seen, I'm yet to connect the speakers again lol

Anything important on the C drive I would backup immediately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

possible you knocked something loose while moving the case to connect the speakers, fingers crossed that is all it is

Its looking like a windows 10 update went south.

The pc acted up again, and this time I couldnt get back into windows at all. Disconnected the hdd's and only left the ssd connected as thats what has my OS on. Got a blue screen with an error code. My BIOS detects the ssd is there, but it doesnt show in the boot priority list. And my 1TB hdd didnt show in BIOS anywhere at all. My other 320gb HDD did show in the BIOS and boot priority, but that was useless to me.
    Did a bit of reading about the error code and seemed the only way was to do a clean win 10 install. So done that last night. PC seems back to working now. I only just now reconnected the 2 HDD's and seems all is fine.
    So im going to put it down to a faulty win 10 update.

• Advertisement
Advertisement