Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi stove fan

Options
  • 23-09-2016 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭

Aldi has a stove fan as a special this Sunday September 25th, my stove has the flue out the back rather than out the top, would this be a waste of money for me?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I don't think its anything to do with the flue. All that happens is the hot air rising from your stove turns the fans blades and thus blows the hot air out into the room.

In what way are you thinking flue position matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

pippip wrote: »
    I don't think its anything to do with the flue. All that happens is the hot air rising from your stove turns the fans blades and thus blows the hot air out into the room.

In what way are you thinking flue position matters?

Much more sophisticated than that. The heat from the stove generates electricity to power the fan. It looks like it's this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BLHX4DQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_g201_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=KSAGXVWNJSMVG9KVPFWF&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=026d359a-cb34-4790-9249-ec9f152ee8e2&pf_rd_i=desktop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

They don't work.

my3cents wrote: »
    They don't work.

Hundreds of good reviews on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

They don't work.

In general or the also ones? Because the ones I have seen do work.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Hundreds of good reviews on Amazon

People like them but that doesn't change the laws physics.

People like them but that doesn't change the laws physics.

Well I am tempted to give one a try. My only reservation is I tend to think of Aldi as cheaper but this fan is a similar price online. I helped a friend install two computer fans above their stove as it is too recessed for a stove fan. The difference in the house was remarkable & we had temperature readings to prove it.

Most of the heat from a solid fuel stove is radiated, blowing air around has no effect on radiated heat.

Most of the heat from a solid fuel stove is radiated, blowing air around has no effect on radiated heat.

No it isn't. Hot air rises so it's convected heat. The fan pushes this forward & turns the stove into a fan heater. If I want to dry something I hang it above the stove not in front of it. It's why they need to be free standing & not recessed

Discodog wrote: »
    No it isn't. Hot air rises so it's convected heat. The fan pushes this forward & turns the stove into a fan heater. If I want to dry something I hang it above the stove not in front of it. It's why they need to be free standing & not recessed

Please carry out as many tests as you like when you get yours but no one with one has yet proved to me they do anything useful.

I'd have one as a gift as they make good talking points but thats really about it.

• Advertisement

Please carry out as many tests as you like when you get yours but no one with one has yet proved to me they do anything useful.

I'd have one as a gift as they make good talking points but thats really about it.

So you thing that all the positive reviews are misguided ? One good thing with Aldi is you can try it & take it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭TTTT

They don't work.

They do work.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭davidhick77

Went into limerick around lunch time Sunday to get one. Both aldi shops sold out. Had 1 man follow me from one shop to the other also looking for the fan. Someone pm me if in limerick clare area if they know where I can get one for around that 34.99 price or up to €50 even

Read my post above. Amazon have them for almost the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

They don't work.

The one I have (an Ecofan) works. Stops the hot air being trapped in the pocket above the stove and sends it out into the room.

You have to be careful to position it towards the back of the stove; if you expose the capacitor at the back of the fan to the full heat of the flue, you'll have to replace that capacitor, which is a bit fiddly to do.

Can't see any link on Aldi's sale pages - when is/was this on offer? Oh, found it

https://www.aldi.ie/stove-fan/p/072454062316400

€35? That's brilliant value; I think I paid something like €130 for mine several years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Flashed into a local Aldi today and they said only a few had come in, and they sold out the same day, whoosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

You should get them in most hardware shops that sell stove. Not for 35 quid but prob around 50 onwards

€45 on Amazon including delivery via Addresspal, PM

Amazing - prices have dropped like a stone. Just shows how many people now have stoves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 RaPpSodIq

Wait for Black Friday and buy a proper fan. ;) Can`t put a link but search "thermshop" in google and you should find the fan. Is manufactured in Ireland and is coming with 2 years warranty. I have the red one and is just perfect. All the market is invaded now with all chinese crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hatevodafone

Heat is collected in the base, it's conducted up the stand and it's transferred though the "what's its" into the cooling fins

Fan spin speed is based on temperature difference either side of the "whats it's",

so you want the base sitting on a flat steel surface to collect as much heat as possible (won't work as well on a stove with rough surface)

And you want the coolest air possible passing the cooling fins, so best to have back of unit facing the room or maybe at 180 degrees

I use a mains powered fan and it is far far far more efective

RaPpSodIq wrote: »
    Wait for Black Friday and buy a proper fan. ;) Can`t put a link but search "thermshop" in google and you should find the fan. Is manufactured in Ireland and is coming with 2 years warranty. I have the red one and is just perfect. All the market is invaded now with all chinese crap.

Here's the link:

http://www.thermshop.com/SmartFan-p/sf1.htm

The video has an English accent, but the web address given on it is

http://iqdesign.ie/

in Dublin 11 (http://iqdesign.ie/about-us.html), which sells various devices from 'smart' chimney cowls and chimney balloons, and parcel boxes, to the fans; I can't see where it says they're made or designed in Ireland, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What's the temperature difference at body height between having one and not having one?

It might be worthwhile if you cant hang clothes to dry 'over' the stove' so the air is blowing directly onto clothes on a clothes rail maybe.

It'd drive me a bit nuts watching the telly, with warm air blowing into my face though. Convection is a bit calmer.... unless I start dreaming I'm in easy rider or something.
    easyrider_borntobewild_FC_470x264_020520160443.jpg

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    It'd drive me a bit nuts watching the telly, with warm air blowing into my face though. Convection is a bit calmer.... unless I start dreaming I'm in easy rider or something.

You don't feel air blowing into your face at all, at least with our one, which is, as recommended by the manufacture, towards the back of the stove.

Advertisement