Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog terrified from suicide

Options
  • 22-09-2016 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hope someone can help me. Two years ago my father took his life at home. Six months later my dog started displaying unusual behaviour, almost like a panic attack. He would be sleeping soundly, or playing with his toys and then suddenly he would become terrified; panting, looking around in a frantic manner as if someone was in the room, pawing, not moving from someone's side. This never happened prior to the death of my father. This display, for the past two years, has come and gone; when it does come we've had to administer Valium - I know this isn't ideal, but it's the only thing that works and we've tried many alternatives. We are enquiring into people who deal with energy and geopathic stress who could perhaps cleanse the house. I know this sounds bizarre, but I think it's connected to my father's death; it's like he senses him and gets terrified. My family is at a loss as to what to do. We've suffered enough and this just add depths to the wound. We don't want to give up Alfie but we don't want him to suffer either.

I would really appreciate any comments/advice.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I really doubt that this has anything to do with the suicide unless the dog was present and it involved loud noises or similar.

Have you brought the dog to a vet or had a good behaviourist in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

You give your dog valium ? Have you tried the local vet to see what they might say , it could be anything from dementia to hearing problems , my first point of reference would most certainly not be the supernatural

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭volchitsa

ahussey wrote: »
    Hope someone can help me. Two years ago my father took his life at home. Six months later my dog started displaying unusual behaviour, almost like a panic attack. He would sleeping soundly, or playing with his toys and then suddenly he would become terrified; panting, looking around in a frantic manner as if someone was in the room, pawing, not moving from someone's side. This never happened prior to the death of my father. This display, for the past two years, has come and gone - when it does come we've had to administer Valium - I know this isn't ideal, but it's the only thing that works and we've tried many alternatives. We are enquiring into people who deal with energy and geopathic stress who could perhaps cleanse the house. I know this sounds bizarre, but I think it's connected to my father's death; it's like he senses him and gets terrified. My family is at a loss as to what to do. We've suffered enough and this just add depths to the wound. We don't want to give up Alfie but we don't want him to suffer either.

I would really appreciate any comments/advice.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Was the dog present when your father died?
    (I thought initially that it had been his dog, but apparently not.)

Assuming the dog wasn't actually directly involved, my guess would be that he's feeling his "people"'s distress and incomprehension at such a traumatic event, and is reacting to that. I'm sorry I don't have much advice, but I do think that something that would make you feel better would be more effective than "cleansing" the house. Sorry I don't know what though, but I do know it's a very traumatic event to have to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Possibly OP you should ask a mod to move this to the Paranormal section - I'm assuming you want somebody to cleanse the house?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

tk123 wrote: »
    Possibly OP you should ask a mod to move this to the Paranormal section - I'm assuming you want somebody to cleanse the house?

Yes OP, as long as you're convinced that there's a supernatural link to your dog's behaviour, I think this is more suited to the Paranormal forum if you don't mind?
    If you're prepared to discuss other possibilities related to biological reasons for his behaviour, I'll leave this thread run, please let me know what you want to do :)

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure you've had some very tough times trying to deal with it. You have my heartfelt sympathy :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ahussey

Many thanks for the quick responses.

I'm sorry for putting it in this thread; perhaps the supernatural thread is the best place for this topic.

In relation to consulting with the vet, yes we've had him checked out on more than one occasion; believe me, we don't want to give medication but it's extremely distressing for the dog; we are trying to find non-medical solutions. The supernatural was not our first point of call either, but I guess you would have to see his behaviour to get a better idea of what I mean.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thread moved from Animals and Pets. Please be aware that a different charter applies from hereon in.
    Thanks OP,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What medical testing has the dog had? Sudden mood changes point to some sort of neurological problem, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Hi it sounds to me like your dog is experiencing epileptic seizures, the fear, panting and pawing (is it like paddling?) can all be part of it. The next time it happens try to record it and bring the recording to your vet as it is hard to diagnose epilepsy without seeing how the events are manifesting. Just worth considering this possibility, if you google it you can find videos of cat and dog seizures and might give you something to compare to.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Is it a collie breed dog?

• Advertisement
Advertisement