Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile site not loading from outside host network

Options
  • 22-09-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a site issue with a site that I've made, developed it myself, very basic, 10 pages etc and hosted my on a web server within my network.

Bought the domain name and have it forwarded to a dyndns account.

Locally when i type the IP of the web server via a mobile browser it loads the mobile version of the page, however outside the network where it is hosted it only loads the desktop version of the same page and not the mobile version.

Any ideas why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

davo2001 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've a site issue with a site that I've made, developed it myself, very basic, 10 pages etc and hosted my on a web server within my network.

Bought the domain name and have it forwarded to a dyndns account.

Locally when i type the IP of the web server via a mobile browser it loads the mobile version of the page, however outside the network where it is hosted it only loads the desktop version of the same page and not the mobile version.

Any ideas why?

You'll need to open up port 80 to inbound traffic, and 443 if you're running SSL. There's probably other stuff as well. Obviously by default your server and network will be closed down to inbound traffic.

I would also get it working with the IP address first instead of domain name, to eliminate that as a potential problem. Once you can access with the IP, then try with the domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

John_Mc wrote: »
    You'll need to open up port 80 to inbound traffic, and 443 if you're running SSL. There's probably other stuff as well. Obviously by default your server and network will be closed down to inbound traffic.

I would also get it working with the IP address first instead of domain name, to eliminate that as a potential problem. Once you can access with the IP, then try with the domain name.

Thanks, I don't think it's a port issue as i can access the site remotely, but it just calls the desktop site instead of a mobile site when using a mobile browser.

Another (or related issue).
    I've got a static IP on the WAN side of the web server.
    When I'm outside the network and i type (from a mobile browser) "www.mydomainname.com" it goes to the desktop site, however if i type (again from outside the network) "http://STATICWANIP" it correctly goes to the mobile site.

Thanks, I don't think it's a port issue as i can access the site remotely, but it just calls the desktop site instead of a mobile site when using a mobile browser.

How/where are you differentiating between desktop and mobile, and routing to the relevant website?

When the request comes into the page it checks the browser version and so loads the necessary page.
    The domain name was purchased from godaddy and I've a DNS forwarding (with masking) setup via their CP for the domain name to my static WAN IP where the site is hosted.

• Advertisement

When the request comes into the page it checks the browser version and so loads the necessary page.
    The domain name was purchased from godaddy and I've a DNS forwarding (with masking) setup via their CP for the domain name to my static WAN IP where the site is hosted.

When you say loads the necessary page based on browser type, does this involve a redirect?

John_Mc wrote: »
    When you say loads the necessary page based on browser type, does this involve a redirect?

Nope. BTW, never said thanks for the input :)

Nope. BTW, never said thanks for the input :)

No probs :)

Can you show us the snippet of code that does this part please?

Will do, once i get home later.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Can you replicate the issue on a desktop browser that is mimicking a mobile browser? You might have better access to debugging tools.

• Advertisement
Advertisement