Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halcyon 6 Starbase commander

Options
  • 22-09-2016 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else buy this?

Basically a mix between FTL, JRPG combat and X-com basebuilding.

Very enjoyable so far, not sure about longevity and replay value but devs have promised support and patches so fingers crossed about more to do.

Picked it up for 15% off on humble store which is still going for another few hours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

was looking at that the other day on steam, is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Didn't get it, but it definitely popped up on my radar, and I was very tempted. It looks pretty good, and I'd say I'll definitely pick it up on sale at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

was looking at that the other day on steam, is it any good?

Only about 90 minutes into it but im enjoying it, not sure what the progression curve is gonna be like and hoping its not time based so that you have to keep up with the in game events that trigger at specific points which currently looks to be happening but I may just be triggerring stuff by completely missions as well not exactly sure.

The base building is fun and the combat and figuring out the combos where certain attacks inflict a status that another attack can exploit and then crit because of are complex enough that you will deffinitely need to design fleets around specific strats which will be interesting once more stuff opens up

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Picked it up as well and seems fun enough but the in game event triggering as you complete the missions can lead to you getting in over your head very quickly if you're not careful. It's definitely a resource balancing act throughout the game - there are always competing demands on your resources, officers and time.

Couple of issues I have - the UI needs work. There's a lot of clicking into multiple menus to perform simple actions such as organising your fleets, selecting different fleets or ships for tasks especially if you're redirecting them.

Resource collection is particularly tedious. You have to work through multiple menus just to grab what you want and then bring the ship home. This could be done so much better.

Maybe they could automate resource collection more - perhaps introduce a transport class of ship that can be tasked to gather on its own but needs an officer and maybe some research/upgrades to get.

Combat is fine and fun if you know your combos. The randomness can be a bit frustrating but anyone who has played Final Fantasy will be at home with it.

How you start the game is quite important in my opinion. The random skills of your officers can make or break your run as there are particular combos that are very potent. Lack of healing (if you only get an offensive engineer) can be an issue or when you do not have certain offensive combos (hull breaches, mines that exploit crew panic and stun) early game it can make things harder.

Overall a nice game and a fun diversion but frustrating UI needs work.

Advertisement