Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - wrong info

Options
  • 21-09-2016 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I recently bought car insurance for the first time myself. I had been driving for 7 years previously but my parents had insured me on their cars. I went with itsforwomen.ie and when I was asked how many years of a no claims bonus I had I said 7, which when they have asked for proof of this I have realised does not apply to named drivers (there is a named driver discount that would apply). I need to speak to them to sort it out and will inevitably have to pay a higher premium but I am just wondering if anyone knows whether I am still insured until this is sorted given that I gave them the wrong information mistakenly? I have emailed them to let them know my mistake but as it was passed 5pm today I didn't manage to speak to anyone. I am supposed to drive very early tomorrow morning for work so won't get a chance to speak to them before then.. If anyone knows the answer please get in touch !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Hi, I recently bought car insurance for the first time myself. I had been driving for 7 years previously but my parents had insured me on their cars. I went with itsforwomen.ie and when I was asked how many years of a no claims bonus I had I said 7, which when they have asked for proof of this I have realised does not apply to named drivers (there is a named driver discount that would apply). I need to speak to them to sort it out and will inevitably have to pay a higher premium but I am just wondering if anyone knows whether I am still insured until this is sorted given that I gave them the wrong information mistakenly? I have emailed them to let them know my mistake but as it was passed 5pm today I didn't manage to speak to anyone. I am supposed to drive very early tomorrow morning for work so won't get a chance to speak to them before then.. If anyone knows the answer please get in touch !!

If cover was confirmed to you, your insurers have to go through a formal cancellation process if they want to come off cover by issuing a registered letter to this effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

If cover was confirmed to you, your insurers have to go through a formal cancellation process if they want to come off cover by issuing a registered letter to this effect.

Would I be right in saying that this formal cancellation process from the insurers side is to be very much avoided by Joe Public if possible? As it may have to be disclosed to other companies in future and a naive mistake could be treated the same as a fraudulent non disclosure?

Not saying this is the case or how likely it is like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Would I be right in saying that this formal cancellation process from the insurers side is too be very much avoided by Joe Public if possible? As it may have to be disclosed to other companies in future and a naive mistake could be treated the same as a fraudulent non disclosure?

Not saying this is the case or how likely it is like

100% correct. A forced cancellation by an insurance company is something that will hurt you getting quotes for many years to come. Insurers don't take that option lightly and others will think to themselves that this client is a problem we would be better off without. Fail to disclose it and you are in the do-do (technical insurance lingo :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

As I read the situation the OP is liable to have her policy cancelled ab initio for misrepresentation. I accept that the representation was innocent.

On that basis I would advise OP not to drive until the matter has been regularised with the insurers.

Advertisement