Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door! Consonata's Repeat Study Log 2016/17**

Options
  • 21-09-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Back here again! :rolleyes:

Subjects doing:
    English - H
    Irish - O
    Maths - H
    French - H
    History - H
    Biology - H
    Chemistry - H
    Physics - H
    Music - H

Aims:
    - Anything above 550 points
    - Minimum H2 in Chemistry (Hardest, as I'm doing it in one year)
    - H1 in Music, Physics, History, Maths

I know nine subjects is absolutely ridiculous, I've been telling myself that from the beginning. However there really isn't anyway around it. Even though I got a B3 in OL Irish last year, I still have to do the subject again for matriculation purposes (darned Medicine, always have to be the exception don't you :rolleyes:). Chemistry is also ridiculously important, because having it at all, opens up the entirety of UK medical schools to me, a luxury I didn't have before. Music I'm doing because I play music to a high standard, and the 50% practical element is really useful for me. History I am keeping on because I got an A2 in the subject last year, and the course happens not to change at all this year, so I think its a worthwhile subject for me.

Hopefully I won't be the only one around here, but I'm going to be keeping nearly daily updates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

23rd September 2016

Things Worked On:
    Chemistry:
    Rates of Reactions
    Oxidation

Physics:
    Wave + Light
    Capacitance

French:
    Vocabulary for Essay writing

Needs Work:
    Chemistry:
    Atomic structure
    The Mole Concept
    Acids & Bases

Physics:
    Nuclear + The ELectron

English:
    Eavan Boland essay, plus flash cards on her poetry
    Question A

Maths:
    Mock Paper 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I've seen you around, I hope this year goes well for you! How did your UKCAT go?

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    I've seen you around, I hope this year goes well for you! How did your UKCAT go?

It was only Ok, not as great as I would have liked, but I was limited time wise. Ended up with 612 average which puts me in touch, but I'll need to do a serious job at the interview and with my personal statement. Applying to the 5 year courses in Dundee, Glasgow and the 6 year course in Kings. Glasgow I think is out of my range, but I should have a good shot at either Dundee or Kings.

Consonata wrote: »
    It was only Ok, not as great as I would have liked, but I was limited time wise. Ended up with 612 average which puts me in touch, but I'll need to do a serious job at the interview and with my personal statement. Applying to the 5 year courses in Dundee, Glasgow and the 6 year course in Kings. Glasgow I think is out of my range, but I should have a good shot at either Dundee or Kings.

I researched quite a few when I was in 6th year but don't remember many specifics now. 612 isn't bad, you can still get interviews depending on where you apply. Just make sure you avoid UKCAT heavy colleges. Depending on your JC results, QUB could be an option, however I have a feeling they only accept repeat students if you applied there last year. However I would check it out (depending on your JC)! Studentroom.co.uk is very good if you haven't seen it already :)

Edit: Have you looked into Cardiff? I think I remember looking into there... but as I said I don't remember specifics!

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    Have you looked into Cardiff? I think I remember looking into there... but as I said I don't remember specifics!

Cardiff don't accept the Leaving Cert sadly. Not anymore anyway. Its probably only for medicine.

I should be able to qualify for Kings College 6 year degree interview. Probably not the 5 year though, UKCAT score is a bit above mine

• Advertisement

Consonata wrote: »
    Cardiff don't accept the Leaving Cert sadly. Not anymore anyway. Its probably only for medicine.

I should be able to qualify for Kings College 6 year degree interview. Probably not the 5 year though, UKCAT score is a bit above mine

The 6 year course in Cardiff is open to Irish applicants but it says first time applicants are considered usually. This might be helpful if you're looking for other places to apply. It has the UKCAT requirements listed so you can see where is UKCAT heavy and where isn't. Hope this helps, I saw a few of your posts last year, I hope you get what you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 meeemsd

How are you structuring HPAT prep? Repeating it myself this year.

meeemsd wrote: »
    How are you structuring HPAT prep? Repeating it myself this year.

I've been doing roughly 1/2 an hour a night, and a paper each Sunday. Slowly getting better but it's taking time.

Advertisement