Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plocher

Options
  • 21-09-2016 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

anyone here ever use this in the slurry,how well did it work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Looks interesting but you need to apply two months before spreading to break the crust down.
    It's also supposed to increase fertilizer value of slurry by 33%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

PMU wrote: »
    anyone here ever use this in the slurry,how well did it work
    Never heard of it before.

https://www.symbionature.com/f/nf9snca

https://symbionature.com/site/images/stories/DocumentsPromo/Plocher_G_Slurry_activator8x11.pdf

Is this being sold in Ireland atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

for a few years.I got a leaflet at the ploughing

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

I'm after buying a kg of slurry inoculant off "magenta" its supposed to break down the slurry using micro organism and bacteria takes 3 months to work will let u know in the spring!!!!...../costs 39e for a kilo and that will do a 4 bay single shed...... We will see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Little bit from leftfield but when I got old enough it made sense.

Crusty slurry would get biological washing powder in warm water
    from a watering can and yeast from the kitchen.

Makes sense now, it's got enzymes for breaking down cellulose
    and protein, cheap too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

mikeoh wrote: »
    I'm after buying a kg of slurry inoculant off "magenta" its supposed to break down the slurry using micro organism and bacteria takes 3 months to work will let u know in the spring!!!!...../costs 39e for a kilo and that will do a 4 bay single shed...... We will see!!
    I used two bags of the Majenta stuff into slurry in a tank before Christmas that was pumped up to a tower today. The contractor pumping said it was the easiest pumping he had done this year, no bother agitating and way easier pumping.

He was about 3 hours doing the job whereas before it would be 4 or 5 hours so half the cost saved in agitating and pumping already.

It will be interesting to see if it makes agitating the tower any easier later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I used two bags of the Majenta stuff into slurry in a tank before Christmas that was pumped up to a tower today. The contractor pumping said it was the easiest pumping he had done this year, no bother agitating and way easier pumping.

He was about 3 hours doing the job whereas before it would be 4 or 5 hours so half the cost saved in agitating and pumping already.

It will be interesting to see if it makes agitating the tower any easier later in the year.

Keep us posted BTJ, how much a bag?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    It's 32 euro for a 1kg bag that will do 40k gallons, Kev.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

kevthegaff wrote: »
    It's 32 euro for a 1kg bag that will do 40k gallons, Kev.

How full can the tank be and do you need to agtitate tan or anything like that's

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

How full can the tank be and do you need to agtitate tan or anything like that's
    You mix it in a bucket of water, pour it along the length of the tank and best put in when the tank is empty. The less in the tank the better so best put in just at housing.

If it goes in later, it's best to agitate it alright to get a good spread through the tank and you will have to put in more powder as well.

I'd be interested in hearing lads experiences of stuff like this.

You mix it in a bucket of water, pour it along the length of the tank and best put in when the tank is empty. The less in the tank the better so best put in just at housing.

If it goes in later, it's best to agitate it alright to get a good spread through the tank and you will have to put in more powder as well.

I'd be interested in hearing lads experiences of stuff like this.

I think the long-term solution to N losses in slurry and to agitation is a product like this. I think trailing shoe and dribble bars are not the solution to N losses. I think that what ever company solves the issue will make a fortune and we are not more than 5-10 years away from that technology.

Slava Ukrainii

I think the long-term solution to N losses in slurry and to agitation is a product like this. I think trailing shoe and dribble bars are not the solution to N losses. I think that what ever company solves the issue will make a fortune and we are not more than 5-10 years away from that technology.
    I was looking more at management of slurry rather than the environmental benefits, if any. That side of the equation would be a bonus for me.

I was looking more at management of slurry rather than the environmental benefits, if any. That side of the equation would be a bonus for me.

Slurry contains from 30-40 units N/1,k gallons depending on what is being fed. We are only managing to retain 5-6units with band spreading and 9-10 units with trailing shoe/ dribble bar. An inoculant that would I crease N rentention to 50+% would change slurry value. Every 5 units extra of N is worth about 2 euro plus. I expect that N fertlizer will start to climb from later this year as I expect the price of oil to climb again.

Slava Ukrainii

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Does anyone here know how these enzymes work? If you look at the list of enzymes on some of the few products that list the enzymes, they come from the same family as ones used in biological washing powder? Would love to understand the science behind this?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭peterofthebr

Im new to this [boards.ie] but im looking at using a slurry inoculant .....rater then getting a tank of slurry from a pig farmer to mix with what i have in my tank...im concerned about introducing weeds into the fields [i dont trust the local pig slurry tanks] ;-)... would anyone recommand any of the alternatives?

i know it costs more, but see too many slurry treted field with weeds and I dont want to end the same.
    i dont know the price yet but see there is a 'king slurry' and a 'magentadirect' -- i guess there both the same really
    ?....but i have a new tank and i believe it to be weed free...any adviceis great..!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

A kilo of yeast mixed with kitchen food waste and 20 gl tepid water left to ferment for a couple of weeks and poured into the tank does the same job

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭peterofthebr

A kilo of yeast mixed with kitchen food waste and 20 gl tepid water left to ferment for a couple of weeks and poured into the tank does the same job

really? thanks coolshannagh28
    but why are so many not doing that? do these products offer more?? i still thinking of spending money on one of these [just to see] slurry king?, slurrybugs? or magentadirec/? ...im new to this whole area [ built a slatted shed only this year], and just want to look at all options...
    i read somewhere that they add more nitrigen ?...#id love peoples views
    ...as i understand i need to add to tank soorner then later [no crust problem myself ] but guess if i go with this it needs to be in the tank for a while...before the catter go in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

really? thanks coolshannagh28
    but why are so many not doing that? do these products offer more?? i still thinking of spending money on one of these [just to see] slurry king?, slurrybugs? or magentadirec/? ...im new to this whole area [ built a slatted shed only this year], and just want to look at all options...
    i read somewhere that they add more nitrigen ?...#id love peoples views
    ...as i understand i need to add to tank soorner then later [no crust problem myself ] but guess if i go with this it needs to be in the tank for a while...before the catter go in...

Works for me ,tank was solid two years ago ,added the mixture and it was bubbling in a month . Contractor mixed it in half an hour.
    No idea on the nitrogen implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Works for me ,tank was solid two years ago ,added the mixture and it was bubbling in a month . Contractor mixed it in half an hour.
    No idea on the nitrogen implications.

Yeast grows on the sugars and starches so don’t think it’d make a difference to N

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

ganmo wrote: »
    Yeast grows on the sugars and starches so don’t think it’d make a difference to N

All life contains (especially the aerobic) nitrogen though. If there's more life being introduced into the tank.
    There probably is more nitrogen in the slurry.

You'd want to be using a dribble bar spreading though to not waste it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

I decided to buy 1kg of slurry inoculate...
    https://www.magentadirect.ie

which i just mixed with water and poured it using a watering can between the slatts along throughout the practicality empty tank. ..

will let you know in March how to goes.

MikeSoys wrote: »

which i just mixed with water and poured it using a watering can between the slatts along throughout the practicality empty tank. ..

I bought the same over the last few days and broke the crust at the agitation points and poured into the liquid underneath.

However as I'm a believer in the more and varied life the better, has anyone tried these products?

https://www.donedeal.ie/fertilisers-for-sale/slurry-enhancer/20140786

https://www.donedeal.ie/fertilisers-for-sale/slurryking-cattle-slurry-conditioner-additive/11395692

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

I love all the figures in euros in those ads and not one of them tells you how much it costs

st1979 wrote: »
    I love all the figures in euros in those ads and not one of them tells you how much it costs

The slurry innoculant from magenta costs €40 for 1 kg.
    But that was walk into the shop for me so delivery probably extra for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭cjpm

The technology is here now. I was researching these products and rang around for more info. I have purchased the following two to try them out. Info from their web-sites.

As far as I understand from reading up about them, once the ammonia is changed to a different form of Nitrogen, the benefits of using the low emissions equipment is marginal.

(Teagasc are mad pushing the low emissions equipment, I was told that the low emissions equipment manufactures paid for the Teagasc research, but i don't know if that is true)

Actiglene - proven in French trials

• Grass DM production is increased by 0.65t/ha of DM, equivalent to five bales or silage per hectare;
    • The ammonia emissions in Actiglene treated slurry are reduced by up to 53%;
    • Hydrogen sulphide emissions from slurry are reduced in Actiglene treated slurry by up to 80%; (Means more sulphur in your slurry)
    • Micro-biological activity and other actions of Actiglene mean there is less build up of crust on slurry, which reduces the cost and time of agitation.

NitroSlurry - Proven in trials conducted in the UK.

Almost 50% less N loss.

• Reduces crust formation
    • Accelerates the breakdown of organic material
    • Clears blockages in pipes and equipment
    • Considerably reduces bad smells
    • Reduces ammonium levels and nitrogen loss
    • Improved performance noticed because the amount of ammonia-N in the air of sheds is reduced.

I also read up about (but didn't purchase)

SlurryNprove

By boosting the microbial population SlurriNprove “organically binds” or “fixes” the nitrogen and minerals. This is probably the biggest financial benefit to farmers due to the reduction in purchased fertilizer needed. ” Independent research completed by Kingshay(in UK) in 2011 showed that SlurriNprove cost only 51p per cow per month but delivered an impressive £1.54 in improved Nitrogen value alone.

Slurry Cal

• Creates a homogenous slurry
    • Reduction in odours
    • Breakdown and prevention of crusting
    • Increased fertiliser value of slurry
    • Reduction in agitation costs
    • Promotes aerobic environment within slurry

Currenty being tested in Hillsborough

There are a good few more products on the market that I didn't research.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

good post , cjpm

The slurry innoculant from magenta costs €40 for 1 kg.
    But that was walk into the shop for me so delivery probably extra for anyone else.

€45 was the total to deliver it in post

Only posting in this thread as it's the most recent one on slurry bugs.

But anyway I used the Magenta inoculant, Slurry King Cattle and the last few weeks started using Actiglene on the slats.

But the slurry was spread today and there's zero smell from it. It was agitated 3 weeks ago for 15 minutes to mix in the Magenta and slurry king. The inoculants were added back in November.
    The slurry was very even and broken down too. Like one shower of rain would wash it off the leaf. It wasn't hard to agitate either but the agitator was left there most of the time when the tanker was working.

It's only when you compare non treated slurry (from my neighbour ) and the difference in smell. But even still it's hard to believe.

But for anyone spreading near a built up area you'd have to consider it.
    Probably should be more nitrogen in the grass too as less ammonium in the air hopefully.
    Spread with a splash plate too.

• Advertisement

MikeSoys wrote: »

Update:: once March came... Contractor said it was easy agitated.. So it did make a positive difference

Advertisement