Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I turn a prop who is too tall into a 6/8?

Options
  • 20-09-2016 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I am a teacher in a school in the south east. As I play a bit of rugby. I was asked to be a forwards coach for the senior rugby team. I am faced with a dilemma:

There Is a student in 5th year who usually plays prop. This lad has lost about 3 stone in the last 8 months and Is a good player. But he is about 6 inches taller than our next tallest front row.

We were training on the scrumaging machine today and his hight is causing a major imbalance in our front row.

We were doing some breakdown work and he seems to be good at turning over the ball and at rucking in general. He is about 6 foot 3 and looks about 14 stone with just over 20% bodyfat.

I really think I could make a 6/8 out of him if he works hard. He needs to drop bodyfat and increase his muscle size and strength, as Well as his fitness. I don't want to say this to him without being able to tell him what to do.We train on a Monday(school) and Wednesday(club) with a club match on a Saturday.

Has anybody got any ideas for gym and conditioning work that I could write a programme up with and give to him.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The deciding factor will be his speed, if he can keep up with your other back rows then go for it.

Have you any read on how tall he will end up? But even 6"3 will probably do for a schools second row.

Otherwise maybe try him at hooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The deciding factor will be his speed, if he can keep up with your other back rows then go for it. Otherwise maybe try him at hooker?

Moving a prop who is too tall to hooker?!

OP, definitely possible and it's common for players to move to and from the front row in that age group because of physical development. I myself moved to the back row in the final years of schools rugby for the opposite reason (was too short for lock). Make sure he knows how important fitness is in the back row, it's an important lesson for young guys in that position to realise that the fitter they are the better they'll be, I wish I'd learned that lesson when I was still his age.

Moving a prop who is too tall to hooker?!

Feet wouldn't struggle to touch the ground, anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Young lads don't know any limitations. You're the only one with the limits there. Its early in the season so fitness will be the first thing to work on.

Don't underestimate how busy a front row is during the scrum. There's a great chance he won't have a clue what goes on in the back row because his head is usually stuck in the front row. You'll need to teach him what to look for in the opposition to know whether they are likely to pick and go or spin it out the backs.

If he's enthusiastic and likes rugby he'll love the action in the back row.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Conord45 wrote: »
    I am a teacher in a school in the south east. As I play a bit of rugby. I was asked to be a forwards coach for the senior rugby team. I am faced with a dilemma:

There Is a student in 5th year who usually plays prop. This lad has lost about 3 stone in the last 8 months and Is a good player. But he is about 6 inches taller than our next tallest front row.

We were training on the scrumaging machine today and his hight is causing a major imbalance in our front row.

We were doing some breakdown work and he seems to be good at turning over the ball and at rucking in general. He is about 6 foot 3 and looks about 14 stone with just over 20% bodyfat.

I really think I could make a 6/8 out of him if he works hard. He needs to drop bodyfat and increase his muscle size and strength, as Well as his fitness. I don't want to say this to him without being able to tell him what to do.We train on a Monday(school) and Wednesday(club) with a club match on a Saturday.

Has anybody got any ideas for gym and conditioning work that I could write a programme up with and give to him.

Any advice would be appreciated
    If he can work on his fitness. Do horizontal medicine ball throws, horizontally orientated jumps, resisted sprints over short distances. He may need another session on a Thursday/Friday to help with fitness/reducing body fat. Get in contact with your local branch development officer and get him in to do sessions with team as a whole and look for specific help with this player
    The deciding factor will be his speed, if he can keep up with your other back rows then go for it.

Have you any read on how tall he will end up? But even 6"3 will probably do for a schools second row.

6'3 will more than do for age grade second row. Deciding factor isn't necessarily speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Make him run down the shops in the mornings before school to grab you a coffee, that'll also help with the fitness.

EDIT: Also don't forget the hand-eye co-ordination required to keep coffee from spilling. Can't be overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Conord45

His speed was one thing I forgot to mention. He has the fastest burst of pace over 20m that I have ever seen for someone his size. Over 20m he can keep up with our wingers.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Good over the ball, fast pace.... Tall enough for lineout option? Openside or no 8....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Good over the ball, fast pace.... Tall enough for lineout option? Openside or no 8....

Would you have any knowledge as to how
    I could advise him to train for 7/8? I always played lock and never really thought about it.

I see him around town most evenings when I'm coming from supervising study so I assume he has time to go to the gym if I give him something to work off of

Conord45 wrote: »
    His speed was one thing I forgot to mention. He has the fastest burst of pace over 20m that I have ever seen for someone his size. Over 20m he can keep up with our wingers.

Has he hands that do dishes too? He's starting to sound like Kieran Read!

• Advertisement

Has he hands that do dishes too? He's starting to sound like Kieran Read!

If Kieran read was 20+% bodyfat I would agree

Advertisement