Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential Caravan Rental Around Dublin

Options
  • 20-09-2016 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,
    We're looking to save a deposit for a house and are thinking of moving
    into a caravan for a year or two. Is there anywhere in Dublin or near Dublin that
    we can do this? Can you guys recommend any other alternative accommodation
    that could help us save money? We don't have kids so we'd be happy to
    make a few sacrifices.
    Any advice/help would really help us as we seem to be stuck in a system
    that really isn't offering any hope,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Guy in work moved out of a rented apartment into a barge, it will take a few years to break even but by then he'll be able to save for a place and sell the boat. He's moored down by the grand canal basin.

https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/52-ft-barge/13405263

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

A friend moved a mobile into her parents back garden for a few years.
    Maybe you could consider that

I'd take a narrow boat over an apartment any day. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I thought the inland waterways gestapo had outlawed residential boating outside of very limited designated berths? When I was looking into it two years ago it seemed they want to ghettoise the livaboard population into what amounted to estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Caravan will be tough in winter. The only way you can save money at the moment is to house share. Either rent a room from someone you know or rent a house yourselves and rent out a room or rooms afterwards.

• Advertisement

I thought the inland waterways gestapo had outlawed residential boating outside of very limited designated berths?

It's a common thing on the mainland...and live-aboard vehicles. Some legislates could benefit from broadening their horizons. :rolleyes:

Caravan; if it doesn't have to be pretty you can externally insulate and stick a wood burner innit.

Ever wonder why they call them apartments? ...I do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Caravan; if it doesn't have to be pretty you can externally insulate and stick a wood burner innit.

Our friends built an insulated concrete form house, that and other design decisions led to enormous complications and delays that left them living in a mobile home for the years of the big freeze. By February 2009 the mobile home had got a hasty second skin of kingspan glued on with expanding foam, not pretty but it was toasty warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Ok you get a carbon monoxide alarm, but how do you manage the chimney for the woodburner, and protect around the burner/roof - I'd imagine there's a lot of "bespoking" that means the caravan will be hard to shift after.

I suppose if its yourself then you take your chances but I doubt you'd get a fire cert (or equivalent standard of safety) for anything that burns timber inside what is essentially a small timber box.

I'm thinking of building a basic block shed for winter storage (or all year storage I suppose if I go ahead), and I could see a woodburner going in the shed and that working out pretty well if there was ever a reason for winter habitation.

Betsy Og wrote: »
    how do you manage the chimney for the woodburner, and protect around the burner/roof

Simples

IMG00086-20110404-1657.jpg?itok=V9OsndXo

Advertisement