Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I suitable for contact lenses?

Options
  • 20-09-2016 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm in my late forties and have been wearing distance glasses for six or seven years. My eyesight was absolutely perfect until my late thirties but seemed to deteriorate with each pregnancy (maybe a coincidence, but I blame the kids anyway). At first, I only needed to use glasses when at a seminar, watching TV or driving, but it's getting progressively worse, and now I really should be wearing them walking down the street (I keep inadvertantly blanking people!) and when cycling (I'm not seeing potholes until I'm right beside them).

The thing is that I can't read with my glasses on at all - I have to take them off - so I do that thing of putting them up on my head, then taking them down, then back up and it drives me mad. And I don't want to wear them cycling because of the fogging up problem.

My near sight is still very good - I have the very beginnings of deterioration, but nothing much I think.

I asked about using contact lenses before and the optician told me that because my eyes weren't able to adjust from distance to close-up easily, the solution would be to wear a contact lens in only one eye. That sounded weird to me, so I didn't even try it. But now that I really should wear glasses all the time, I'm starting to reconsider. Also, I think multifocal contacts are now on the market.

Has anyone else been in this situation of being only able to wear glasses for seeing in the distance, and found a multifocal contact lens that worked for them? If so, are they really expensive? And has anyone tried the lens in one eye trick?

I'm overdue an eye test and I'm trying to decide what to ask for when I go in (I know I need a new prescription). Thanks for any help....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I know one person that wears a single contact lens for that reason and he said he's used to it. For me it would be like walking around with one blind eye.

I'd also be interested in vari-focal lenses, never heard of them. I'm okay for now, but close up reading is deteriorating slightly.

Advertisement