Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundbar and connections?

Options
  • 20-09-2016 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a soundbar, I have picked one out, finally went to get it yesterday and was told it only works by optical cable which is not included? And would cost a further €50/60. Do all soundbars not include this cable? And if not what should i be looking for in the cable as I have seen them priced much lower online!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Talula_d wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a soundbar, I have picked one out, finally went to get it yesterday and was told it only works by optical cable which is not included? And would cost a further €50/60. Do all soundbars not include this cable? And if not what should i be looking for in the cable as I have seen them priced much lower online!

€10 if you are feeling generous!
    The only two differences between optical cables is a glass / plastic end cap. The difference on the the speed of light in oxygen is :2.981 x 10^8 ms^-1
    But a poor quality cable may half that ( ie half of a second)

What it means without the degree in physics / maths is you set the delay in sound a little off to compensate.

BTW what was the brand of cable (although I can probably guess)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you need to redo that maths akaSol

speed of light is 299 792 458 m / s

to get half a second delay, you'd need a cable length of 150,000kilometres. even if the cable halved the speed, you'd need a cable of 75000km, or have it wrapped around the diameter of the earth 6 times.

any optical cable isn't going to delay the audio enough to be perceptible compared to any other optical cable

OP, 1m for 2gbp, 3m for less than 10. will work just fine.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/REALMAX%C2%AE-Toslink-Digital-Optical-supports/dp/B014T420YG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1474541866&sr=8-3&keywords=optical+cable

Advertisement