Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal launched against the development of Michael Street Shopping Centre.

Options
  • 19-09-2016 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

So just seen on John Cummin's Facebook page that an appeal has been made to Án Bord Pleanála to halt the construction of the new shopping centre. Are people trying their best to stop this city from moving forward? There's some dangerous people in this town...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How can they appeal at this stage? I thought permission had been granted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Let me guess - it's a Green party member isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

So just seen on John Cummin's Facebook page that an appeal has been made to Án Bord Pleanála to halt the construction of the new shopping centre. Are people trying their best to stop this city from moving forward? There's some dangerous people in this town...

I'm in favour of this development. However I'm equally in favour of the third party planning appeals system and people's rights to object to planning permission. It's an important right.

I've no idea of the appellants' motivations. Most large scale developments are appealed so this is neither unusual, or even unexpected. If the scheme Is good enough it will proceed. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Permission already got granted for this development so this doesn't make any sense

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

er1983 wrote: »
    Permission already got granted for this development so this doesn't make any sense

There's another round of appeals outside of the councils process, which is what is being done atm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

The planning permission is being appealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

It certainly is disappointing but I read the objections and let’s just say I am not too surprised an objection was made. The world should never change kind of thing was evident in one in particular.

It will make it through the appeals process though. It is a completely sound development, it’s no Celtic tiger madness project. Sure it got through the last time and that was a bigger development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

BBM77 wrote: »
    It certainly is disappointing but I read the objections and let s just say I am not too surprised an objection was made. The world should never change kind of thing was evident in one in particular.

It will make it through the appeals process though. It is a completely sound development, it s no Celtic tiger madness project. Sure it got through the last time and that was a bigger development.

Do you have some more specifics or is it available online? Would like to see the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is this what was on the front of one of the local papers, current issue I believe? Something about local residents and businesses appealing because, in their opinion, a shopping development is not suitable for the city centre. That's right, there shouldn't be shopping development in the city centre. I hope that gets thrown in the bin.

O Riain wrote: »
    Do you have some more specifics or is it available online? Would like to see the appeal.

It will be here when the new weeks are added, it is not up yet.

http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2016/new/index.htm

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    Is this what was on the front of one of the local papers, current issue I believe? Something about local residents and businesses appealing because, in their opinion, a shopping development is not suitable for the city centre. That's right, there shouldn't be shopping development in the city centre. I hope that gets thrown in the bin.

Have not seen the local papers yet but yes that is the gist of the one I was referring to. Waterford does not need any more shops was one line I can remember. WOW is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Listed with just the parties:
    www (dot) pleanala.ie/casenum/247264.htm

(I don't have enough posts yet to include a full web address)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Listed with just the parties:
    www (dot) pleanala.ie/casenum/247264.htm

(I don't have enough posts yet to include a full web address)

One of the first search results for the inner city alliance is a post bigging them up on the people before profit Facebook. So basically loopers. Fabulous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

To be honest after seeing the plans for the development I thought it was nothing

short of disgraceful! Expand the City and develop it further afield perhaps in the

Butlerstown area of Waterford?

The city centre is dead on its arse - it needs development. Ballybroken for example is is ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

One of the first search results for the inner city alliance is a post bigging them up on the people before profit Facebook. So basically loopers. Fabulous

Disappointing to see a spurious complaint to BP when the approved development is about half the size of previous one approved by BP years ago.you could see how PBP would love getting their objection in place as to be frank they are idiots with no financial reality,i challenged one of them once on something they were objecting too to do with national politics and all I got was some unrelated nonsense about bertie and endas pension..knew once I saw clowno from PBP at meeting council had that this lad will object..that's what he and they do and they can go on deluded thinking that they are the only ones fighting for what's right.
    Shame on the people with some possible genuine concerns being led by these morons who at the end of day you wouldn't have in charge of an empty box.

From WLR
    City Community Alliance John Cloono confirmed an appeal has been submitted on behalf of a group of up to 40 people, most of them residents from the area
    Questions are being asked about the group who lodged an appeal with an Bord Pleanala which will delay the Michael Street Shopping Centre in Waterford City by at least four months.The appeal was submitted by John Cloono, who himself does not live in the area, on behalf of the Inner City Community Alliance which he says is a group of up to 40 people, most of them residents.However one resident of Convent Hill in Waterford City Centre says people in her locality were not behind the appeal.Mary Ryan says some in her area have concerns over traffic management plans, but do want to see the Shopping Centre built.Metropolitan Mayor John Hearne says while people have the right to appeal, John Cloono should consider if the submission to An Bord Plenala will make any difference or will it just delay the project.

from 2008 http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/wctu-objects-to-latest-city-centre-plans-from-krm/

Advertisement