Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new psychiatrist?

Options
  • 19-09-2016 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I've been seen a woman psychiatrist for a good while now. Every time I see her I tell her I'm feeling awful. It's getting to the stage where I feel it's going in one ear and out the other.

If anything she's trying to take me off medication when I feel I need to be on it.

Like you hear and see these adds on tele/radio saying there's help out there you don't need to keep suffering. Well that's exactly how I feel. I am suffering.

I've gad anxiety near 15 years. It's getting worse the older I get. My life is a mixture of constant worry and dread.

The psychiatrist place where I go was the place my GP recommended years ago. It's like everyone in my area is seen in the one place. What do you do if you want to see someone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I think finding a counsellor is a bit like dating, you need to find someone thats right for you and someone who you gel with, it can take time to find someone suitable. Ive come out of counselling sessions feeling worse than I did when I went in, ive felt patronized, misunderstood and even judged which is a big red flag that its not working out, you should leave with a good feeling and like youve worked through some things or atleast feel like youve been listened too and understood.
    Don't let it put you off, you just need to find someone that fits. If I was you id be straight with the counselor and tell them you dont feel the connection or you dont feel youre being understood and you'd like to try another psychotherapist to see if it will help you. In the end its just a job to them so she shouldnt take it personally. I know how frustrating it can be, keep trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who diagnoses and treats mental illness.
    If you are in the public system, you see whoever is assigned to that catchment area.
    You can only transfer care to another Consultant by asking the area's Clinical Director and giving good reason in writing.
    Have you asked the doctor why she does not recommend medication? Does she agree you have GAD, for example?
    Even if the therapeutic alliance is a bit rocky, it shouldn't be too difficult to revise diagnosis and treatment and care plan with your treating consultant so that you are all on the same page.

PS not sure why you refer to her as a 'woman' psychiatrist, but I am pretty sure that has zero impact on her ability to treat you (being one myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think finding a counsellor is a bit like dating, you need to find someone thats right for you and someone who you gel with, it can take time to find someone suitable. Ive come out of counselling sessions feeling worse than I did when I went in, ive felt patronized, misunderstood and even judged which is a big red flag that its not working out, you should leave with a good feeling and like youve worked through some things or atleast feel like youve been listened too and understood.
    Don't let it put you off, you just need to find someone that fits. If I was you id be straight with the counselor and tell them you dont feel the connection or you dont feel youre being understood and you'd like to try another psychotherapist to see if it will help you. In the end its just a job to them so she shouldnt take it personally. I know how frustrating it can be, keep trying.

You don't 'find' a psychiatrist. You're assigned to one. See excellent post above.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

mrsmags16 wrote: »
    A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who diagnoses and treats mental illness.
    If you are in the public system, you see whoever is assigned to that catchment area.
    You can only transfer care to another Consultant by asking the area's Clinical Director and giving good reason in writing.
    Have you asked the doctor why she does not recommend medication? Does she agree you have GAD, for example?
    Even if the therapeutic alliance is a bit rocky, it shouldn't be too difficult to revise diagnosis and treatment and care plan with your treating consultant so that you are all on the same page.

PS not sure why you refer to her as a 'woman' psychiatrist, but I am pretty sure that has zero impact on her ability to treat you (being one myself).

This.

Also, if finances allow there is the option to go privately, however this can be financially prohibitive.

Advertisement