Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Artane - Cafes / Pubs

Options
  • 19-09-2016 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Is there any nice cafes or pubs in Artane?

All other little areas seem to be popping up with gorgeous cafes but Artane tends to have the run of the mill ones. Same as the pubs, nothing too young or different. Would there be any demand for them or is it just that the area is full of a older generation? Just inquisitive as I always head into the city for these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Diddles898 wrote: »
    Is there any nice cafes or pubs in Artane?

All other little areas seem to be popping up with gorgeous cafes but Artane tends to have the run of the mill ones. Same as the pubs, nothing too young or different. Would there be any demand for them or is it just that the area is full of a older generation? Just inquisitive as I always head into the city for these.

No unfortunately. I live in the area and I say the same, even Killester which is there for the taking hasn't a decent cafe.

Brooks on St Brigids road is not up to scratch, it's got a nice little catchment and alittle creativity could turn it around.

There's an insomnia or costa (can never remember which) in Killester , a small Italian place which again has potential and completely wasted. There's the nuthouse in Killester but again it's more a decent greasy spoon than a nice cafe place.

EDIT: Artane does have quite an old population, well from what I can see from my neighbours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Artane has quite an eldery population, although that's slowly been changing over the last number of years as young families move in when the oldies pop their clogs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Woodmill Cafe on Kilmore Road is quite nice. Very good value, lovely staff.
    Near LIDL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

There's nothing in Artane really. The Goblet is a nice pub but mostly old people in it. Just reading these posts made me realise it's a totally ancient area. By the time they're all dead I'll be old ffs.
    Nearby Killester is better though, it has an Insomnia (wow!!!!), and the Beachcomber even serves some craft beers for the trendy beautiful young things.
    I wouldn't be aware of any suburbs on the Northside though with much going on, they all seem to be quite old settled areas. Even Marino/Fairview which you would think would be the Rathmines of the Northside given its proximity to town, never had anything going on, and the pubs are just full of old locals. It's really odd, other Capitals in Europe don't seem to be like this, each area is a little hub of activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you're in Killester you should check out 53 Avenue casual bistro, afraid drawing a blank on Artane though :(
    http://www.53avenue.ie/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

+1 on The Woodmill.

Lovely food, and they deliver in the evenings too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

spurious wrote: »
    The Woodmill Cafe on Kilmore Road is quite nice. Very good value, lovely staff.
    Near LIDL.

I was recommended that place so called in for breakfast on Monday morning, and I swear to God (and I'm sure you'll know I don't crib and cry around here) but the place was filthy, absolutely deplorable. The first thing which hit me was the smell, it was like the floors had been wiped with a dirty mop but their floor was strewn with food crumbles and even had some finger nails under the table to sat so it wasn't washed, not that morning at least.

Seriously it turned my stomach.

That said, my daughter is a chef and she eats there and says the food is good and was surprised when I told her what I'd found.

Other than that there's no where else I can recommend in Artane, although Parnells GAA club is great for a carvery and has a very nice bar.

Advertisement