Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic info on starting to drive a motorbike

Options
  • 19-09-2016 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I'm a 21 year old male.
    I have held a full car license for over a year and now want to start applying for my motorcycle license as I have always been obsessed with bikes from a very young age. However, I don't really know much about how to go about this.... I have tried reading the relevant websites (the RSA etc.) but cant seem to find the info I'm looking for... Any info from experienced people would be gratefully appreciated! Here are some of my questions:

Can I apply to do the motorcycle theory test straight away or is there a first step before that?

Upon passing the theory test, what type of bikes can I drive - do i have to start immediately with a 125??

When must I complete the IBT - and also how do I do this? is it an online thing or do i actually have to attend something?

What would be the best option for a starter bike given I am a very responsible person, I see a lot of bikes like suzuki marauder 125s on donedeal - are these any use??

How much should I be looking to pay for insurance / tax etc...

I would greatly appreciate any help.
    I would ask my family but they are quite opposed to the idea of me getting on a bike because for some reason they think I want to speed around on one like a lunatic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jamescfc

Upon passing the theory test can a learner drive alone or do they have to have some accompanying driver similar to a car driver? are there any similar restrictions??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Jamescfc wrote: »
    Upon passing the theory test can a learner drive alone or do they have to have some accompanying driver similar to a car driver? are there any similar restrictions??

You can drive alone. Carrying a pillion would not be recommended for a novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Be careful, watch every single driver and watch the speed...also have lots of fun. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

You need to complete IBT before you can ride on the road and it's against the law to carry a pillion when you've a learners permit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Very first thing you do, find out how to stop it safely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Theory test
    learner permit
    IBT
    Then get your own bike/insurance, etc and get riding. You can't ride on a public road without completing your IBT and you can't carry a pillion until you complete your full test.

You will need to check the RSA website for what category and power bike you can ride at your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Can I apply to do the motorcycle theory test straight away or is there a first step before that?

This is the first step. It's the 'AM' theory test relating to motorcycles and scooters.
    Upon passing the theory test, what type of bikes can I drive - do i have to start immediately with a 125??

Basically, at your age, you can obtain the learner categories, AM, A1, and A2 which are ESSENTIALLY scooters, small/ slow bikes, and medium power/ medium power respectively. Your first bike can be a medium power/ size bike. You have to be 24 to get the 'A' category- unrestricted in terms of size and power.
    When must I complete the IBT - and also how do I do this? is it an online thing or do i actually have to attend something?

*It is a specific curriculum that a registered instructor can give you. It's instruction on a combination of theory, riding skills and other practical tasks peculiar to motorcycling. It's 16 hours of instruction and if you partner up with another student- it should cost something like €500.
    How much should I be looking to pay for insurance / tax etc.

Tax is €88 per year for my bike which is 1400cc- I can't remember if there are lower rates for smaller bike. I really can't advise on insurance. I'd say pick a couple of sample bikes you like and just call the insurers- there are only a few of them.

Gear adds up in terms of cost. Depending on what you need and how clever you want to be about it, budget €500 - €1,000.
    What would be the best option for a starter bike.

I really depends on a lot. You will be constrained in some ways at your age but it may be irrelevant if your ideal bike also happens to be within your licence terms and happens to be insurance friendly and affordable. The question is what bikes do you like and what is your budget? If you have a hankering for a cruiser or an adventure style bike- these tend to be more available to young riders. If you're into plastic sports bikes with lots of 'R's in the models derivative, you'll probably have to compromise. Bear in mind also that very slow bikes also bring particular dangers because you need to be nimble on a bike so you can get to where the safest spaces on the road are. The like of naked style bikes like CB400s tend to be insurance friendly too.

Ideally, you want to get something of medium size and power for all round driving conditions.

*Bear in mind that you can get the theory test and learner permit and can then go to an instructor who can train you. You won't have to have your own bike and thus you can complete your IBT (and validate your learner categories) without having to bring the full expense of getting a bike and gear and you will have gone lots of the way to getting your test preparation done at the same time. In other words, you could treat it as an adventure weekend of motorcycling as a taster and if you get the bug, you can then go out and buy a bike and gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Theory test -45e
    learner permit - 35e
    IBT -450-550 ( Id advise go with 1:1 training and dont cheap out its very important)
    Gear ( i strongly recommend investing in good PPE (helmet,jackets,pants etc..)
    Bike ( Sit on a few, and see if its comfy for your height Etc )

Like Paulw said above " You can't ride on a public road without completing your IBT and you can't carry a pillion until you complete your full test "

You must wear the L tabard and wait 6 months before attempting a full test . Not sure of your situation with the N tabbard ( i know i dont have to wear one because i held a full car license the past 7 years)

Tax = 0 - 75cc - 49e
    76-200cc - 67e
    201-9999cc-88e

Insurance - nobody can tell you only the company's you ring around , Try carol nash , principal , liberty etc. ( Im 26 and only 1 company would insure me on a 600cc ninja on a permit with 0 NCB)

Start out small , work up your NCB and road experience ,

You can get a cat A license at 24 or over , but in your case you can do a thing called "progressive access") you hold your A2 for 2 years. not sure how it works but il add a link ( http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/bikes_chart_3rd_directive_V2.pdf)

Last but not least , safe biking , its a wonderful but dangerous experience. and most of the time its not what you do wrong its the idiot in front or behind you on their phone and not paying attention .

Advertisement